Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 SE not renewing IP address

• Please log in to reply

CrowChick

CrowChick

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is not my computer. It is my mother's (mine is an XP home). She uses Windows 98 Second Edition. Recently she wanted to hook both our computers up to the new Sprint DSL service in our area. After much to-do, we learned that before we could use the free modem that Sprint sent us, we would both need networking cards and a router. So, I purchased said cards and a router from Netgear (the cards are FA311's). Now we're trying to just get her PC to connect to the DSL service (we already know mine will). We are not on a network together yet. We are just trying to get her Win98 to cooperate.

But, when connected to the modem, it will not "renew the IP address" and displays all zeros in the ipconfig application. Somewhere else in my adventures (I cannot recall where), the PC only shows a PPP connection in a drop down menu. The network card is shown in device manager as working and well. It has a TCP/IP of its own.

I have been on the phone with Net Gear AND Sprint. I have switched our cards, switched slots, and Sprint has managed to get a ping through... only the computer doesn't seem to know how to use the network card.

Any idea what's going on before I pull out all of my (or someone else's) hair?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes! I suggest you go with the router since your computer is already configured for it. There is some variation in the way different versions of win98 connect. So follow this procedure to cover all possibilities. Assuming that you've installed the Netgear card and it's working properly, hook her computer to the router. Right click on the Internet Connection Wizard and choose Properties. Then click on "Find Target". When the target folder opens double click on the icwoobe.exe, which is the wizard you need to run, to connect the a network. The two computers and the router form your network. Choose the LAN (local area network) option and just follow the procedure. Let me know how it works.

CrowChick

CrowChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will it be all right to do that without connecting my PC to the router? We have to drill a hole in the floor to drop the cord, and if we can't get the DSL to work, that'll be a gaping hole for nothing. So, can I fake it?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Will it be all right to do that without connecting my PC to the router?  We have to drill a hole in the floor to drop the cord, and if we can't get the DSL to work, that'll be a gaping hole for nothing.  So, can I fake it?

View Post

I'm not acquainted with a Netgear router, and the first time you set up a router can be pretty challenging. Most routers have an access page you can link to on your computer, a web page, and you can do a better job of cinfiguring it from there. The router will be the item connected to the DSL and you have to follow the router's instructions and the ISPs. And there are all kinds of different protocols. Do you have an assigned IP, or did they tell you to auto detect your IP? You see the router will detect the IP from the DSL and your computer will detect their IPs from the router, in most cases, depending upon the protocol.

PS: Drill the hole in the closet floor and run the wire there.

Edited by Tyger, 11 July 2005 - 09:18 PM.

CrowChick

CrowChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a dynamic IP, and I think it's on autodetect because I had to keep setting the IP congiuration to that when I was hasseling with support.

PS: Drill the hole in the closet floor and run the wire there.

View Post

lol A good idea, but I think my mother would be less disturbed if I simply hauled my entire workstation into the basement. Why oh why didn't I just bid on a replacement hard drive for my laptop on eBay?

Edit: Wait, wait, wait! I have a USB external hard drive loaded with all of my workstation's files (system files, too, I think). Is there a way to boot my harddrive-less laptop in such a way that it works through the external hard drive? Just long enough to set up a connection. Someone once mentioned something like this, but I never followed through on the train of thought.

Edited by CrowChick, 11 July 2005 - 09:31 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

It's a dynamic IP, and I think it's on autodetect because I had to keep setting the IP congiuration to that when I was hasseling with support.
lol  A good idea, but I think my mother would be less disturbed if I simply hauled my entire workstation into the basement.  Why oh why didn't I just bid on a replacement hard drive for my laptop on eBay?

Edit: Wait, wait, wait!  I have a USB external hard drive loaded with all of my workstation's files (system files, too, I think).  Is there a way to boot my harddrive-less laptop in such a way that it works through the external hard drive?  Just long enough to set up a connection.  Someone once mentioned something like this, but I never followed through on the train of thought.

View Post

You only need to have your computer hooked up if you're trying to link to hers. No, you can get her hooked to the router and the router hooked to the web without anything else. If the router has wireless you might want to get a wireless card for yours, if you don't have on already.

CrowChick

CrowChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I set 'er up with the router, and it still won't connect to the Internet over DSL. I tried running winipcfg, and all it shows is "PPPAdapter", no Netgear listed.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like we have to start at the beginning. Right click on My Computer (this is for the 98 machine only) and choose Properties. Then Device Manager. If you see Network Adapter open it, click on the + sign, does it have a yellow question mark? That means the right drivers aren't installed. If you don't see Network Adapter open Other. You may see PCI something or other. That may be it. Right click on it and choose Properties, then Drivers, then Reinstall drivers. You need to use the disk Netgear provided to install the drivers. I don't know the procedure for the install, you have to pop it in and check the Help file for that. When you get the adapter working and it says Netgear FA311 follow the reat of the method I gave you., I've installed some of them using a cd rom from a motherboard, but your procedure may be entirely different.

After that you have to access the router page and set it up for the DSL connection. You will need to look at any information your ISP provided you. Yes, even simple networking and routing isn't very easy.

CrowChick

CrowChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I already uninstalled and reinstalled the card with drivers several times with both Netgear and Sprint. There is no yellow mark, and it is shown to be working properly.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the card with drivers several times with both Netgear and Sprint.  There is no yellow mark, and it is shown to be working properly.

View Post

Then the next step is configuring the router so it will connect to your DSL. Consult the router handbook and go to the router's page on your mom's computer, the handbook will tell you the address of the page, for many routers it's http://192.168.1.1, but yours may be different. And follow the guidelines of your ISP to configure it. For instance my protocol is PPPoE, Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet. then the router will log in to the DSL modem and you'll be in business. Have fun!