Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Newb Question

• Please log in to reply

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's kinda hard to tell and I'm a newbie at computers, but when you put your computer to sleep, can downloads keep downloading and can game servers on your own computer keep running?

Advertisements

darqblue42

darqblue42

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Because I have noticed that my laptop's fan stops running when I put my computer in Stand By (sleep) mode, and thus the computer is essentially off, I think any programs would "go to sleep" as well.

Then again, you could find out yourself by tracking the progress of a download before and after putting it to sleep.

Good luck.

myspoonistoobig

myspoonistoobig

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
By "put to sleep", are you talking about standby, suspend mode, or hibernate, or just waiting for the screen saver?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I beleive hibernate is the mode that the computer keeps working in, but I think you could find the right answer in the Help file. You can also just turn your monitor off, it's the major power consumer.

myspoonistoobig

myspoonistoobig

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I beleive hibernate is the mode that the computer keeps working in, but I think you could find the right answer in the Help file. You can also just turn your monitor off, it's the major power consumer.

View Post

That's what I do at night :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Your downloads will stop if you put your machine in sleep mode.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I have enclosed the definition of both standby and hibernate below:

Hibernate saves an image of your desktop with all open files and documents, and then it powers down your computer. When you turn on power, your files and documents are open on your desktop exactly as you left them. Standby reduces the power consumption of your computer by cutting power to hardware components you are not using.

Standby can cut power to peripheral devices, your monitor, even your hard drive, but maintains power to your computer's memory so you don't lose your work.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
If you put your computer into standby or hibernate mode none of your programs will continue to run. The only way to keep your programs running is to allow the screensaver to come on. To save power you can turn off your monitor and any peripherals (scanner, printer, etc.) but standby and hibernate will not allow any programs to continue to run regardless of what they are doing.