Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Custom Built PC - Wont install winxp

• Please log in to reply

Generallee02

Generallee02

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I custom built my pc. Specs are:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
AMD athlon 64 3700+
2 gigs ram in 4 512k sticks
256mb pci-e 6800 ultra graphics card.
74gb western digital 10,000 rpm drive.

I have 3 cd/dvd roms hooked up and a 680watt power supply. plenty of power. One drive on master, rest on slave.

The western digital drives jumper is left default where it was as i read it should be left that way if i dont know alot about switching it. I got thew bios upon bootup and set it all up with clock. But i constantly get a:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

error message. I tried various settings like booting from cdrom, hd, or floppy. My floppy isn't inside system, i have a usb 2.0 floppy drive which the bios recognizes. to boot from this i should just be able to select for the first boot device, removeable, from the bios list. Options in bios for bootABLE STUFF ARE:
REMOVEABLE
HARD DISK
CDROM
LEGACY LAN
DISABLED

I've tried many variations but cant get my winxp install disc to load up or anything to boot from the floppy. i have tried a 6 disc floppy winxp install i found on net. i also tried a fdisk on floppy but nothing boots. I'm on a 2nd pc now, everything i bought was brand new. I read maybe i might need to format hd first, but cant get any format floppys or winxp cd to boot. i know i can format on winxp cd also. The hd is connected to the first sata slot on my mobo. I dont have raid config. It's connected in just a regular sata slot. number 1 of 4.

Also tried holding F8 when i power on and entering the menu there and selecting what device to boot from, but selecting cdrom still wont boot my winxp cd.

Edited by Generallee02, 11 July 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
ok first of all check that the disk will boot from DOS in another computer if so then download Killdisk and then unzip it to a floppy disk.
When DOS starts make sure the disk is inserted and then follow instructions in DOS.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
is it a bootable cd? don't assume they all are. Am I correct in assuming you only have 1 hard drive?. Unless things have changed (they could have) PC never used to boot from external drives

Edited by peterm, 12 July 2005 - 01:22 AM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
its not detecting anything on the HDD so boot from a bootable floppy disk format the driver and try booting from an XP CD. That should sort out your problem.

Generallee02

Generallee02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, nevermind for now. for some reason it wouldn't boot the winxp cd on my dvd-rw burner drive which works for cd's too, or my dvd-rom drive which is my primary slave. it worked in my secondary master cd-rw when booting from F8

Odd. now i can install winxp

Edited by Generallee02, 12 July 2005 - 07:01 AM.

Generallee02

Generallee02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well it's freezeing at the winxp blue setup screen. now reading up on this problem...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
copy of a windows xp cd or original?

wash the cd in warm soapy water. pat dry with soft cloth

Generallee02

Generallee02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
pretty clean. a reinstall cd thatg came with my dell but it worked perfectly on a non dell pc.

But i got it to load in the primary dvd-rom drive. it freezes with cd-rw i guess. seems to be fine for now with dvd-rom drive. wont boot in dvd-rw

My drives are:

primary master - 8x dvd-rw
primary slave - 16x dvd-rom
2ndary master - 52x cd-rw
then a external 16x dvd-rw

seems it works only on my primary slave. Hope it finished all the way and not freezes in middle.

Edited by Generallee02, 12 July 2005 - 07:56 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence...is it, or is it not running setup?

You should be aware that you are likely in violation of your licensing agreement by trying to install and OEM version of Windows on a machine other than the OEM PC. I say likely because I do not know the makeup of the system you are using. If you transfered themotherboard to a new case, for example, you could make a case that your on safe ground.

But, an OEM installation travels with the machine, not the machine owner.

It should also be noted that while it may have installed correctly on a different, non dell pc, it may not install on every PC, since Dell may have customized the CD with special drivers (in fact, they almost certainly did).

If the current PC you are working with has a different configuration (different ide controller, different chipset, etc) your hang is likely due to that.

Generallee02

Generallee02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it's running setup, but seems stopped at the 9 minutes left mark. Where it registers components. Been at this for 30 minutes. Read elsewhere a guy's similiar experience of it stopping at 9 minutes took 2 hours to register components then it finished installing. If it's this dell winxp disk thats problem i'll just go buy a new one at store. wasn't aware it was only for certain configs like dell and i shouldn't use it on my other pc's.