Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Weird Weird

• Please log in to reply

jbcteacher

jbcteacher

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I have two problems, maybe unrelated, maybe not.

I installed a linksys router this weekend and burned a cd from an iso file. Since then,

1.) I get the BSoD with error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE when I shut down. It is a 0X0000009F error. I followed the MS KB article on the error, but have not identified the problem. I also did a system restore and picked this past Thursday as the restore date. I know I shut down on that date without a problem.

2.) Most folders that I have renamed and moved or deleted over the past week are now back in their original form - original file name and in the original folder. I just noticed this problem today. Not every file that I have renamed and moved was affected, but 99% were. This problem is on an external drive

I burned the iso using Nero 6.

I ran spybot, adaware, and scanned my files using Trend Housecall. I have no identified spy/malware or trojans, worms or other viruses.

I don't know who to go to for help on this one. Any / all help would be greatly appreciated.

Joanne

Edited by jbcteacher, 11 July 2005 - 09:05 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well it would seem the restore back just restored your folders. I seem to recall it doing that on mine, including returning them from the Recycle Bin. Just a price you pay for a restore back.

On the shutdown prolem, go to Device Manager and right click on the rw drive and choose Properties and make sure that the Shutdown box is checked. Otherwise just follow the advice on the Microsoft page.

jbcteacher

jbcteacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
. . . Device Manager and right click on the rw drive and choose Properties and make sure that the Shutdown box is checked

I couldn't figure out where exactly to do this. I got to the device manager - I right clicked on the properties, but couldn't find the shutdown option. Also, which drive would I do it on, and any idea why it would all of a sudden be a problem?

tia!

Also, I thought system restore wasn't suppose to make changes to data files? :tazz:

Edited by jbcteacher, 11 July 2005 - 09:21 PM.