Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair install - NO repair option

• Please log in to reply

9Hammer

9Hammer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Everyone ...

I receive the message "windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. A Repair install may correct this problem.

Using the original full XP Home CD, I can boot normally from the CD. The problem is, in the window where I should get the option to repair the install already on C, the repair option does not appear. It appears to me that it is not seeing the installation already on drive C.

However, if I click the Repair on the first screen, it does take me into the repair console and to C:\windows. From there, I can access the whole C drive and all folders and files on the computer. I have connected another drive as a slave to copy important data from C to D so I can do a clean install .. but there are a huge number of files to copy and in that environment, it will not copy folders.

Ideally, I would like to continue with the Repair install, but I don't think the install program is seeing the already installed system and that is what I think the problem is.

The HDD is showing OK in the BIOS, but if I boot with a floppy win98se startup disk, it tells me that no FAT32 disk was found. Fdisk shows me that there is a small 8 Meg unpartitioned segment at the start of the disk, and the rest of the 40 Gig HDD is a single partition formatted NTFS.

Seems like I'm missing something (probably simple) here, but I need help to see it. Any responses are welcomed!! Thanks ...

Howard

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you able to boot into Safe mode?

If so, why don't you try a System Restore first instead of a repair install? Did you happen to turn off System restore at some time?

makai

chrisatpsu

chrisatpsu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
boot to recovery concole, and run chkdsk on the hard drive....

or...

try this from microsoft
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;283433

9Hammer

9Hammer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you able to boot into Safe mode?

If so, why don't you try a System Restore first instead of a repair install?  Did you happen to turn off System restore at some time?

makai

View Post

makai .. thanks for the response! I am not able to boot anywhere. The error message (or that's what I'm calling it), is the first thing I see after it runs through the BIOS. I can't even get to the menu that contains "Safe mode".

This is my son's computer, but as far as I know, Restore was on. I would be happy to do a fresh full install if I could get into the C drive from a normal boot from a win98se emergency floppy so I could copy folders to the slave drive I connected, but the NTFS volume is not seen by this route. I can't copy folders going to C by way of the first Repair option using the CD to boot, and I don't have a Repair option in the window right after the licence agreement is accepted.

Thanks ..

Howard

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I seem to be recommending this program a lot lately! It's called BartPE.

BartPE basically is run from a CD and boots your computer. You can then browse your hard drives and move folders and files around.

Check it out here>>> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and read the documentation.

There seems to be a lot to this program, but the concept is quite simple. I have used it several times and it works wonders for rescueing data.

makai

9Hammer

9Hammer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I seem to be recommending this program a lot lately!  It's called BartPE.

BartPE basically is run from a CD and boots your computer.  You can then browse your hard drives and move folders and files around. 

Check it out here>>> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/  and read the documentation.

There seems to be a lot to this program, but the concept is quite simple.  I have used it several times and it works wonders for rescueing data.

makai

View Post

Hey makai ... thanks a million for recommending the BartPE as a solution! It worked perfect fpr my problem and I now have rescued all the wanted data onto a slave HDD connected for that reason. I slipstreamed XP PRO with SP2 and made a bootable CD which booted up the first try. I can see this CD being very useful .. especially for that purpose. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks also to chrisatpsu for your input! I'm sure that would be helpful under different circumstances and I appreciate the help.

This forum is great, as I only posted the problem late last night and had the info and done the job by 8PM tonight. I really appreciate all this help.

Thanks agian ... I will be back I'm sure ...

Howard

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome Howard!

I will be back I'm sure ...

Be sure you do... without problems though!

Yes, BartPE is excellent! Spread the word!!!

makai