Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 98 Desktop Freezes Shortly After Load Finishes

• Please log in to reply

dcorr

dcorr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Win 98 finishes its normal boot - no errors, etc. - and for a 1/2 second, I can click on an icon and it will respond - it will highlight, and the application will even come up (WORD, for example) - but then the desktop freezes. The mouse arrow will still move for a little while, and then the sound card emits a rolling, clicking sound in response to the mouse's movements. The desktop remains frozen and the only keyboard command the system responds to is CTRL-ALT-DEL.

If you CTRL-ALT-DEL, after awhile, the blue screen will appear, then after pressing ENTER, the CLOSE box will come up. If a normal boot has been allowed (I haven't unchecked all items in STARTUP through MSCONFIG), it's always SPOOL32 that's "not responding", but I'm sure that's a symptom, not the problem.

I can only boot to safe mode. I've tried unchecking everything in STARTUP (when this happened before, that did the trick, and I slowly added items, finally discovering through online research that AVG_CC was the conflict culprit), but no dice this time. I uninstalled all my virus/spy protection (AVG, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol), concerned about a conflict. Even with all of it uninstalled, it was the same series of events in normal boot mode.

Despite a heavy load of a variety of application software, this system has run fine for weeks in between these two episodes and for months prior to the first time I had this problem. Because of the heavy load of software and substantial difficulty getting my Palm to work with it, I'd sure like to avoid an Opsys reload.

I've looked through 20 pages of these postings, tried several different suggestions - no avail. (How do you restore a 'corrupted' system file through File Checker while running in safe mode with no CD-ROM support? A conundrum for an old programmer like me with limited op sys experience).

Hey, thanks for taking a look.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Spool32 is for printer spooling.

Did you have a print job hang before this problem started? It's actually possible that your printer has some corrupted file in memory and it trying to communicate with your computer. Or, your computer is waiting for information from the printer.

Shut down your computer and disconnect your printer.

Restart, enter bios, and disable the parallel printing port. (take note of the printer port/address before doing this)

Quit bios saving changes and let your computer start up.

See if the error goes away.

makai

Edited by makai, 12 July 2005 - 05:21 PM.

dcorr

dcorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Well, OK then. Now I just feel foolish. Right in front of me - SPOOL32 - I know what it does, but ignored the clue as not material to the problem. I made it more complicated than it needed to be.

First I simply unplugged the printer cable and reloaded the driver from the CD. Didn't even get into the BIOS - thought I'd try disconnecting the device first. Worked like a charm.

Really, thank you - nice job. But, I'll be turning in my programmer's wings, now.

DMC