Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

explorer.exe crashes on module Browseui.dll

• Please log in to reply

JerryHobby

JerryHobby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings,

I am running XP-SP2 with all latest patches. I have noticed that whenever I load control panel for the first time after rebooting, it frequenty crashes explorer.exe.

Explorer.exe crashes on module Browseui.dll. Once in a while I also get an unable to read memory at location error as well. Once I even got the blue screen of death.

I've used a variety of registry repair tools, system restore, and voodoo. So far nothing has fixed it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Here is the boring part ....

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module browseui.dll, version 6.0.2900.2668, fault address 0x00001b95.

Advertisements

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
It could be a number of things. It could be that the registry entries for browseui.dll are corrupted. Try [Start] [Run] "scanreg /fix" When that finishes, restart. ( :tazz: Thanks to Microsoft @ http://support.micro...m/?kbid=289799)

It could be that browseui.dll is corrupt. Try [Start] [Run] [Regedit], expand to this Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]

Exit Regedit and restart. When Windows says that "IE had been removed, do you want to clean up your personal settings?" DON'T. Doing so will bomb your bookmarks, etc.

Once you're back up, download and install IE from here:

http://www.microsoft...sp1/default.asp

( ;) Thanks to the Elder Geek @ http://www.theelderg...e_and_oe_6.htm)

It could be that you have bad memory. This isn't likely, but if the other tweo don't work it could be it. Have you installed more memory lately? is all your memory compatible with the motherboard?

JerryHobby

JerryHobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately those tips don't work. IE6 won't reinstall with just those instructions. There must be something else required. Anyway, I've done many other things.

1. I uninstalled nearly all of my system related tools. AntiVirus, etc.
2. I reinstalled Windows from the original CD
3. I ran a registry cleaner.

Nothing worked. So I did some additional diagnostics.

1. The problem does not occur in safe mode.
2. The problem does not occur if I log in as Administrator, but does when logged in as me (which has administrator authority).

Conclusion - It only seems to occur when I log into my self in non-safe mode. So there must be a user section in the registry that either contains an error or loads a file the results in the error.

This is how I reproduce the problem:

I reboot -- after rebooting I launch control panel. Then I close control panel. 50% of the time it crashes then. If it does not crash, I load control panel and close it again a couple times.

It appears that when I open control panel the first time, the icons display more slowly than when in safe mode or as administrator.

Now I am going to go play with MSCONFIG and see if I can narrow it down.

I would appreciate some other tips.

Jerry

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Actually, got a fairly interesting possibility that might work since both accounts are administrator accounts.

In your account, make a restore point.

Then log in as administrator
start > run
regedit
enter

right click the folder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
choose export and export it to

c:\

as hkcu.reg

Now, log into your own account in safe mode, shut down any startup programs still running

open MY COMPUTER, choose the C; drive, and find the file hkcu.reg

double click it, say yes to merge

this will take a couple seconds and windows will say it could not import all settings. that is ok.

Then reboot into your account. Does the problem recur? I would greatly like to hear the results.

I have not done this with your problem, but I have done this in some other wierd problems with similar circumstances and it actually worked.

JerryHobby

JerryHobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That is a brilliant idea. I'll put that in my bag of tricks. Good thinking. I've never heard that suggestion before. (un)fortunately, I have already resolved my problem.

By using msconfig, I was able to narrow it down to Webroot's Spysweeper. I've used this product successfully many times so I don't know why it is doing this. But it is definitely Spysweeper. I can't really figure out why spysweeper causes explorer.exe to crash. But that's the culprit.

During my testing I did find a broken driver as well. I also discovered one other bit ... Norton System Works seems to really slow things down. I'm assuming the anti-virus and anti-work technology comes at a significant performance cost. Any thoughts on that?

Jerry

UltraAyla

UltraAyla

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Think of most norton scanning tools as like immigration/customs checkpoints coming into the country (I guess this assumes you live in the United States - if you do not, they are slow because everything tends to be searched). Everything going to anywhere MUST first stop off at this checkpoint(norton), have a few things scanned for baddies (you know, illegal fruits and trojans and whatnot) - and then redispersed and sent on their way to whereever they are going - so the answer is yes, norton does cause a slight performance hit - but it's one I'm willing to take

Edited by UltraAyla, 12 July 2005 - 10:05 AM.

Nick Firestar

Nick Firestar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thx man, Gerryf, ur solution to the explore.exe crash worked on my comp.

:)

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Nick, please don't bump 5 year old threads. It's unneeded.

Also, unless you're having the exact same issue, I wouldn't use advice given to someone else. It could royally screw up your computer.