Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME factory restore

• Please log in to reply

number1

number1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have several problems with my computer, it has spyware, viruses, all sorts of things but there isnt anything on my computer that i need to save. so i was wondering if i could just restore my hard rive to original settings. I need step by step dumb it down instructions if this is even possible thanx in adnvance for the help people.

im am running a compaq presario 5000 with windows ME( if it matters)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Put your installation CD in the drive and restart the computer. If the Setup screen comes up choose reinstall over repair or other options. Your computer may have come with an earlier version of windows and had an ME upgrade, if you only have an upgrade disk you will need to install the other version first. If that procedure doesn't work just follow the instructions above for a fresh clean install, substitute ME for win98. This can be difficult if you're not used to doing it, but you have plenty of help here and since you're not trying to save anything you can make another try.

What disk(s) do you have for installation?

number1

number1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have no disks for installation, I bought the computer as is from radio shack and they said that i wouldnt need a disk with windows on it. so i appreciate the help but is there smehing else i can do?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Is it a brand name computer? IF so it might have a hidden partition or a recovery partition otherwise you would need to buy a copy of windows.

number1

number1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah its a compaq presario 5000, how would i know if it had those partitions?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you could try hitting the f10 key. I think that is the hotkey to start the restore..... otherwise it might have a backup partition .... when in windows does it have more than one hard drive listed?

number1

number1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
F10 did nothing but I have drives C: & D:, But i tried to run restore and for some reason it says your system could not be restored

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's a reason google is my home page. If you google this phrase

"compaq presario 5000"

you'll find a lot of information. In most Compaqs D: contains the restoration files. What you have to do is locate either Setup.exe or Oemsetup.exe. The latter will give you the factory restore. One or the other should work with your product key.