Computer looks different....not sure what is wrong [RESOLVED]
Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:33 PM
Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:22 PM
One thing....when I run the MWav I saw a lot of "junk" in the infected files section.....is there a way to get rid off all that????....do I really need or want all that in my system????....Anyways, I would never attempt to delete any of those thingys....by myself....no way Jose.....the result will be a pretty decent Nightmare.
What are your suggestions????....Leave all that????....or????
P.S: the computer is working better....I can still see some changes though....but hey, is a heck better than before.
Question: if our computer is infected or hijacked, you would be able to tell with all oh those programs that we did run, correct????
I just want to sleep good.
Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:43 PM
Congratulations, your log shows that your SYSTEM IS CLEAN
There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:
1. Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove bad files from the backup that Windows makes as no program is able to clean those files:
TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1. Right-click "My Computer", and then left click "Properties".
2. Left click on "System Restore Tab"
3. Check box beside "Turn Off System Restore"
4. Left click on "Apply"
TO ENABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1.Remove check mark from "Turn Off System Restore"
2.Click on "Apply"
2. Cleanup the leftovers. Download CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
3. Finally, Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.
I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)
Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:38 AM
Before I do that....I have a question....first: I DISABLE system restore, then download CleanUp, and then ENABLE system restore back????....just in case.
Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:15 AM
Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:33 AM
Now....I went to the site of CleanUp....but I am not sure wich one is for my system....can I download CleanUp 4.????
Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:59 AM
So, the final step....like you put, would be "Re-hide System Files" and Folders to prevent any future accidents....right????
Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:21 AM
Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:31 AM
One more....sorry....what about "extensions for known types" and "protected operating system files"....????
Don't want to mess-up.
Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:51 AM
One more thingy (believe is the last.....mmmmm) and by now I am officially becoming a Pest....right????
My wife is telling me that she (somehow was told that would work fixing the system, and this is prior to me contacting you guys, and therefore did it) did disable something called "workstation"....or something on that sort....is that something that I should try to enable....or should I just leave that???? (whatever that is).
The computer seems fine to me....and I am able to connect to internet without a problem.
Thnks so very much Trevuren.
Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:01 PM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users