Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WebSea[r]ch Toolbar, KavSvc, unexplained CPU usage [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Delta 9

Delta 9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This laptop has been reduced to a smoldering pile of crap after my idiot sisters got their grubby hands on it. I've tried to cleanse it time and time again but apparently to no avail, and NOW there's even shiny new malware! Just more crap to stack on top of the mile-high heap that includes NEVER connecting to our wireless router when it's literally two inches away from the ****ing (don't know how swearing is looked upon here) antenna, but has absolutely no problem being in range of and even connecting to what I assume are my neighbors' wireless connections. Then when it does connect it, to use a pop culture phrase, drops it like it's hot. Ugh... hopefully that and the totally unreasonable, unexplained CPU usage are the results of all the garbage shoved up this computer's orifice. Maybe one of you guys can keep me from punching through a wall here.

The things that I know are on here but still can't rid myself of are some Spector keyloggers and browser spys, WebSeach Toolbar aka TBPS (how stupid did the programmer have to be to omit the 'r' in search...), and a very stubborn VX2.Look2me that CWShredder can't seem to resolve. Then there's a mysterious Winlogon Notify whose name keeps changing and also won't go away. I've tried to rid myself of TBPS on my own, which included going through the registry and manually deleting any and all references to TBPS, and there were some folders that wouldn't delete and the keys would regenerate after clicking back over to the folders. :tazz: ;)

Here's my HJT log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:29:18 AM, on 7/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPSSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\rcrd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\PIB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Wayne Jr\Desktop\HijackThis1991.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.emachines.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.emachines.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://websearch.drs...esearch.cgi?id=
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://websearch.drs...esearch.cgi?id=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://websearch.drs...esearch.cgi?id=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://websearch.drs...esearch.cgi?id=
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.emachines.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KavSvc] C:\WINDOWS\System32\uaurpz.exe reg_run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sysbot] c:\windows\system32\sysbot.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .avi: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for ¸ćz : C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.emachines.com
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: WebSeach Toolbar support NT service (TBPSSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPSSvc.exe

EDIT: I just got ewido and it's finding all the stuff I suspected... it's finding the same things several times in a row though, I don't know if that's normal or if it's not able to fix it. But apparently I have the Qoologic trojan downloader. Mmm, tasty. I think that's what KavSvc is.

Edited by Delta 9, 12 July 2005 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Sam and I will be helping you.

I see you are running Hijackthis from your desktop. Please create a directory on your c: drive called c:\hijackthis and move hijackthis into that directory. Run the program from that directory from now on. It is essential that you follow these steps or certain important features of the program will not function correctly.

Please follow these instructions to run Adware.
  • Download, install, update, configure, and run Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06.
    • Download Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06:
    • Install Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06:
      • Double-click on aawsepersonal.exe to install the program.
      • Follow the default settings for installation.
      • After the program has finished installing uncheck the "Perform a full system scan now", "Update definition file now", and "Open the help file now" boxes.
    • Update Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06:
      • Double-click the Ad-Aware SE Personal icon on your desktop.
      • Click "Check for updates now" then click "Connect".
      • It will check for any updates. If any are found click "OK" to download and install the updates. Once it has finished click "Finish".
    • Configure Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06:
      • Click on the Gear button at the top of the window.
      • Click "General" on the left hand side to display the General Settings box.
        • Make sure these items have a green check next to them. If they do not, click once on the circle next to them to put a green checkmark:
        • "Automatically save logfile"
        • "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
        • "Safe Mode (always request confirmation)"
        • "Prompt to update outdated definitions" - change to 7 days from the default 14.
    • Click "Scanning" on the left hand side to display the Scan Settings box.
      • Make sure these items have a green check next to them. If they do not, click once on the circle next to them to put a green checkmark:
      • "Scan within archives"
      • "Select drives & folders to scan" - select your hard drive(s).
      • "Scan active processes"
      • "Scan registry"
      • "Deep-scan registry"
      • "Scan my IE favorites for banned URLs"
      • "Scan my Hosts file"
    • Click "Advanced" on the left hand side to display the Advanced Settings box.
      • "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin"
      • "Include additional object information"
      • "Include negligible objects information"
      • "Include environment information"
    • Click "Defaults" on the left hand side to display the Default Settings box.
      • Make sure these items have your preferred settings in them.:
      • "Default homepage"
      • "Default searchpage"
    • Click "Tweak" on the left hand side to display the Tweak Settings box.
      • Click the + (plus) sign next to the Log Files section. This will expand the section.
        • "Include basic Ad-Aware settings in log file"
        • "Include additional Ad-Aware settings in log file"
        • "Include reference summary in log file"
        • "Include alternate data stream details in log file"
      • Click the + (plus) sign next to the Scanning Engine section. This will expand the section.
        • "Unload recognized processes & modules during scan"
        • "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
        • "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
      • Click the + (plus) sign next to the Cleaning Engine section. This will expand the section.
        • "Always try to unload modules before deletion"
        • "During removal, unload Explorer and IE if necessary"
        • "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot"
        • "Delete quarantined objects after restoring"
    • Once you are done with these settings, click "Proceed" to save them.
    • This will take you back to the main screen.
  • Run Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05:
    • Click the "Start" button.
    • Uncheck the "Search for negligible risk entries" entry.
    • Choose the "Use custom scanning options" scan mode.
    • Click the "Next" button.
    • Ad-Aware will begin to scan for malware residing on your computer.
    • Allow the scan to finish.
    • Right-click on any entry in the list and click "Select All" to select the whole list.
    • Click "Next" and choose "OK" at the prompt to quarantine and remove the objects.
Reboot and post a new hijackthis log and we'll see what's left.
If you saved the log from your scan with Ewido please post it also.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.