Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video cards and memory type..

• Please log in to reply

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
i looking to buy a 6600gt geforce card, and it says that the memory type is DDR3, does that mean my ram???? or thats what the card has? e.g. do i need ddr3 to run this card? or can i just use regular ddr?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
No, the DDR3 specification is refering to the type of memory that the card has, not the RAM on your machine. The type of RAM on your machine makes no difference.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 12 July 2005 - 04:31 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah ddr3 is basically just saying the card has the statis ddr3 ram, this is the best ram to get and the reason you pay more for gfx cards with it. 6600GTs though are in my opinion pretty bad value for money when compared to x800s which are the same price or cheaper and are much more powerful.