Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb 2.0 4 port hub stopped working

• Please log in to reply

jamajam

jamajam

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, i'm new to this forum so i hope i've posted this in the right place!

i installed a belkin usb 2.0/firewire board a few months ago & then a couple of weeks later, i bought a usb 2.0 4 port hub which is plugged into a socket on the new board. everything has been working fine until recently.

when i plug my camera into the hub, nothing happens.

when i plug the camera into the built in usb 1.1 ports on my pc, the photos appear, so the camera is working ok. i also get a message saying that ' this device can work faster' etc & click here to see usb 2.0 ports installed on your computer. when i click on the message it says, 'there are no hi-speed usb host controllers installed on this computer'.

i also have a dvd rewriter which is connected directly to the belkin card & that's working ok, so it would seem the problem is just with this hub.

i have windows xp sp2 with all latest updates installed.

i would be very grateful if someone could advise me please.

thanks

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You might try going to the device manager and checking to see if the drivers are installed. Have you recently updated any USB drivers? If so try rolling them back to the originals. Also, try using the hub on another computer if you have one available to you.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 12 July 2005 - 04:26 AM.

jamajam

jamajam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks for your prompt reply - sorry i didn't get back any sooner.

i checked device manager for drivers but i'm really not sure which item refers to the usb hub. i've attached (if it works) a screenshot of the listed items.

devmngr.gif

i assume the hub is the 4 items (usb root hub) before the last 2 under usb controllers.

they all have drivers & it says all are working ok.

to the best of my knowledge nothing has been changed.

my old pc is win 95 so i can't test it on that as it doesn't have usb ports & i don't have a laptop.

i'm quite old so i don't have many friends who have pc's that i could try it on.

is there not a way of uninstalling/reinstalling or is that more trouble than it's worth?

hope you can help.

jamajam

jamajam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
you won't believe this but it's working now !!

it's strange because the pc has been left on, has not been rebooted & i haven't changed any drivers.

perhaps i didn't have the leads pushed in properly , before.

when i tried it just now it worked straightaway so i thought i'd just test it in one of the other ports on the hub to make sure they were all working & that message briefly popped up 'this device can work faster' & 'there are no usb 2.0 ports attached ... etc' but after a few seconds it disappeared & the green light came on, on the hub. weird.

do you think it was the leads not in firmly or do you think the hub is on it's way out?

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
It may have been the leads, but for now, so long as it works, I would just leave it alone. i messes up again, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out whats wrong. SO far as uninstalling and re-installing, all you have to do is make sure you have the drivers for the hub, (weather there on a cd or hard disk) and then in the device manager, right click on the device you want to uninstall and then click "Uninstall". Then, after it finishes, restart your computer and the found new hardware wizard should prompt you to re-install them again.

--Chris

jamajam

jamajam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks chris,

i tried to use it the other day & it wasn't working again so i just used the usb 1.1 pc port to transfer some pix. i haven't got round to testing it again. thanks for the instructions on how to uninstall/reinstall. i don't have a driver - it just uses windows' drivers - but when i get round to it i'll try & reinstall & see if that solves the problem.
i'll let you know how i get on.
cheers

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Sorry to hear that. One thing you should check is to see if the connections are all there on your hub, and that none of them are damaged. Look inside both the connection on your computer and the connection from the computer to the hub and make sure nothing is bent, or damaged.

--Chris

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You seem to have a lot of things at that end of the device list, and those items are the last to be assigned IRQs (interupt requests) so I think your problem may be that you don't have enough to hand out. You might try disabling some devices you don't use, like com ports, to free up some IRQ lines. You may also be able to disable the usb 1.1 devices.

jamajam

jamajam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry i didn't reply sooner but i was on holiday. while i was away, i had a few ideas as to what might be causing the problem and thought i would try them out when i got back. however, since my return, the usb hub has been working pefectly!!

i thought the problem could have been something to do with being logged on as administrator. (there are 4 of us using this pc, 2 as admin & 2 ordinary) i thought maybe it could be that the hub fails to connect to the correct port, if an ordinary user is the the first person to log on, it was something i hadn't tested, but i never got a chance to see if this was the case.

the only other thing was that there was a windows update waiting for me when i got back.

whatever was in it seems to have fixed my problem which may or may not have had something to do with who logs on first.

thanks for your help & suggestions - i'll try those out the next time it stops working !!! :tazz:

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Let us know if it happens again, we're always here!

--Chris

jamajam

jamajam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i sure will, chris - many thanks for all your help. :tazz: