Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect an XP laptop to a 2000network

• Please log in to reply

Cambronze

Cambronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a beginner Geek :tazz:
I am trying to connect my daughters XP lap top to my 2000 computer.
Previously we had a 98 desktop connected.
Her computer needs to be wireless connected for work network and cable connected for home
Pls Help
Bob in oz

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
welcome to GTG!
you can run the network wizard which is located in my network places, that should take you through the steps of configuring a home network.

If the laptop works on two different networks with different methods of access then that would get more complicated as you will have to create two hardware profiles for each location.

The easiest way to network both of your machines is to connect via IP addresses or computer name which can be obtained from the computer tab of the properties of my computer (right click menu).

Then Start -> Run and type \\machine_name\shared_folder_name <enter>

by replacing machine_name with the name of the machine you want to connect to and shared_folder_name with the name of the folder you want to browse taking into account that the folder is shared and you have enough security rights to access it.