Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor is on but screen is blank

• Please log in to reply

PopArtToaster

PopArtToaster

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello!

A few days ago, after booting up, my monitor's light was on but the screen was blank. When I unplugged/re-plugged the cable from the monitor, the screen flickered, then came up and everything was fine.

The next day, I had to repeat the "unplug/re-plug" several times before the screen came back up. Today took forever. I checked all the other cables, connections, power sources, tried another (old) printer cable, etc. The monitor clearly works fine but something's wrong with the cable connection on the monitor. Once I get it up, it stays up, but I don't want to go thru this every morning. Should I buy a new printer cable? Leave the monitor on all night? Any help is appreciated.

Windows XP
Gateway
4 CPU 2.53 GHz
512 MB RAM

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I dont see what your printer cable has to do with anything, but what it sounds like is that your monitor cable (the one that conects from your computer to the back of your monitor) may not be sitting correctly. You said that you tried another (older) cable. Did you still have to unplug/re-plug the cable with this one as well, or did it work right off the bat? If the older one worked perfectly then i would suggest getting another monitor cable, but if you still had problems then I would check the conections on your monitor and make sure that none of the pins are bent or missing. You may also want to gather up your warrenty info just in case.

--Chris

PopArtToaster

PopArtToaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I dont see what your printer cable has to do with anything

Oops, don't know why I wrote "printer"--it's the monitor cable, obviously. I had the same problem with the other cable I tried.

I called Gateway (still under warrantee) and they asked me to check the cable that connects to the tower to see if any pins were missing or broken (no) and then, with that cable still disconnected, to press the power button the monitor and see what came up. It was a flickering "Diagnostics" box, then the screen went blank. At that point, the technician said, "You've got a bad monitor."

So, after all this, I'm assuming the cable has nothing to do with it. It will still work--after a while, but luckily Gateway is sending me a new monitor.

Thanks for the response.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
no problem, I'm glad to hear that Gateway is sending you the new monitor! When you recieve it, let me know it solved the problem, that way other people on that read the forum can see that that the monitor was the problem. (plus I like closure :tazz: )

PopArtToaster

PopArtToaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Closure achieved!

Gateway sent the new monitor (and cables) and everything works fine now.

Just for the record: I kept the computer on for the last few days and had no problems with the monitor.

Thanks for the help!

:tazz: ;) ;)

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Anytime! Glad your problem is solved!

--Chris