Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA hard drive

• Please log in to reply

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi all,

i am about to upgrade my computer by adding a new 80GB hard drive to my existing 80GB hard drive. my motherboard supports SATA with RAID 0 and RAID 1. I have 2 questions about this matter:

1) can i just buy any hard drive, or is there a specific hard drive for SATA?

2) with the additional 80GB hard drive, will my computer "read" my hard drive as 160GB, and not just 2 separate 80GB?

I sincerely appreciate any info. Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You must use a special sata drive....they have a different cabling requirement

No, your PC will see two drives

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should probably note somewhere in here that you can make it appear as if it is one disk to windows by using dynamic disk volumes and extending the volume from one to the other physical disk.....there are drawbacks to this--for example, dynamic volumes can only be read by windows 2000 and xp, they are not fault tolerant.....I generally do not recommend it unless you are a religious backup kind of person.

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for the info. That helps me a lot. However, please bear with me with one last question:

If I add the new hard drive, how will I benefit from SATA?

Again, thank you for your time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
more space....pretty much it.

Eventually, SATA drives will be faster, but in real world testing, we don't see that yet. SATA has a hypothetical faster transfer rate, but we are very early in the lifecycle for them

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should add (doing that a lot, maybe I should take longer on replies) that SATA does have other benefits, just not benefits you are seeing.

First, they are EASIER to setup....I love the little thin wires that pop in these drives, makes wiring a case so much easier

Second, heat build up is reduced because those fat 80-wire ide cables really mess up a systems air flow, trapping heat. The sata wires don't.

Since you are running a ide and sata system, you don't get those two benefits

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks gerryf. honestly. i'm very glad to find this website. i sincerely appreciate your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and I sincerely thank you for that appreciation...

gets a little depressing at times when people blow in and blow out and you never know if something worked...