Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted OS?

• Please log in to reply

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi again,

a few months ago, my friend tried to add a new memory card to my computer (a Compaq Presario). however, i'm not sure what went wrong, but my motherboard got "fried" in the process. i eventually bought a new motherboard (and a new casing).

come now this problem: my new motherboard cannot read my OS (windows XP) apparently because that OS was "native" to my Compaq board. i raised this problem to this guy in our local computer shop, and he told me that he can re-install my OS by using the product code/key on my old computer.

i have 2 questions in this regard:

1) is this possible? (and legal?)
2) if he will succeed re-installing my OS, will Microsoft recognize my OS as "original"?

i appreciate any enlightenment. thank you very much. :tazz:

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well first off, do you have a Windows XP CD? if you do then there should be no problem re-installing the OS. And yes it is legal so long as you paid for the original copy of XP and your not puting it on more than one computer.

--Chris

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Please do NOT double post your question.. You are already being helped HERE !!!!

Murray