Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Administrative User account problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

A couple weeks ago I had some problems booting Windows XP (Home) and had to do a partial reinstall/fix of Windows. No programs had to be reinstalled, but since then Photoshop CS hasn't been working...when I try to start it up, I receive the following message:

"Current user account does not have the privileges to perform product activation. Run this application from a user account with administrative privileges or contact your system administrator."

It only gives me the option to click "Okay" and then the whole program shuts down; I can't use it at all.

My user account IS set up to have administrative privileges (I'm the primary user), so I don't know what's going on here. I'm thinking this must be more of an XP-based glitch, since the folks on the Adobe Forums haven't been able to help me yet. Is there some way the Administration capabilities could be disabled, even though the account still says it's Admin?

I've tried reinstalling Photoshop, starting it while in safe mode, starting a new user account with admin capabilities, etc. but nothing has helped so far.

Any ideas what might help? I'm facing some deadlines here shortly, so really need to get things working again.