Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Won't Shutdown/Restart/Log-off

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have been trying to find a similar situation on the tech sites and, although I have found others experiencing the same problem, I just don't understand the instructions that have been given to them to try to resolve the matter. I'm computer literate, but when it comes to the registry and bios, I'm not really comfortable unless it's given to me in laymen's terms.

I am running XP Pro (SP2) and I haven't installed any new software programs except a few weeks ago I purchased and installed the upgrade version of Acrobat 7. I also installed an extra 512MB RAM at about the same time (RAM was purchased through Dell and was compatible) I have had this computer since 2/2003 and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever for the entire time.

On Friday I couldn't shut down and I haven't been able to shut down since. I ran a virus scan and I ran 2 malware scans using Spybot and Ad-aware, which have served me quite well. The virus scan was clean and the malware scans found few problems. I really feel I may have been invaded by a Trojan(?)

I appreciate anything you can advise. Thanks.

Anne

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
First of all I advise you do a virus scan.
If you have a virus scanner then use it now.
If not then use this website Scan
This is a free online virus scanner.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OR Panda Scan

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
As usual, I received wonderful advice! I just spent the last few hours doing all the clean up, malware/adware and virus scanning, and then I performed the Easy XP Tweaks that I saw earlier in the day. My computer shuts down now and I feel squeeky clean (or I guess I should say, IT feels squeeky clean!)

Thank you, thank you! You people are wonderful!

Anne :tazz: