Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

kokonutz

kokonutz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Is there any way possible to be able to get data off of a corrupted hard drive and put it on a new hard drive. The computer will sometimes let me boot up but I am not able to access anything even in safe mode. Dell is sending a new hard drive today, but I have vital information on the corrupted one that needs to be removed and then wiped clean. I hope someone can help me! Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you connect it up after you get the computer working you might be able to retrieve the data. If you cant there is software that might be able to do it. Otherwise it is paying for data retreival , but its not cheap.

kokonutz

kokonutz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Do you know the name of the software that could be used?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is something I've had a little experience with and the best method seems to be to put both the new and old drives in another computer as slaves and install drive to drive copy software, most new drives come with it, and use it to copy the image of one drive to the other. The software will tell you which files are corrupted, make sure you make a list of them. You can also download the software from the drive mfrs. website.

This seems to be the easiest on the old drive and lets the new one do all the work of correction.

If the corruption is caused by virii be sure to scan the new drive thoroughly in the slave mode before making it the new master. BTW most newer systems use cable selct to determine slave and master.

Edited by Tyger, 12 July 2005 - 02:55 PM.