Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS deleted?

• Please log in to reply

WhiteKelso

WhiteKelso

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi all,

a few months ago, my friend tried to add a new memory card for my computer (a Compaq Presario), but, i'm not sure what happened, the process "fried" my motherboard. i therefore ended up a new motherboard (and a new casing). the problem now is that my new motherboard won't read my OS (WINDOWS XP), apparently because my OS was "native" only to my Presario (i think it's what they call OEM).

i refer this problem to one of our local computer shops and one of their guys told me that they can re-install the Windows using the product key from my old computer. i have 2 questions on this regard:

1) is this possible and legal?
2) will Microsoft recognize my OS as genuine.

i appreciate any kind information. thank you very :tazz: much.

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
1) It is possible and legal. You own the license for that copy of Windows and are allowed to use it on your machine.

2) If Microsoft will not allow you to activate your new install (which I believe it should) you will be supplied with a 1-800 number to call where you will be able to have the cd-key assigned to your new machine, or they will give you a new key. If this happens and no number is given, go to http://www.microsoft.com and search their support pages for activation issues and there should be some info on how to contact their tech support to have your issue resolved.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is possible technically...well, legally, inaccurate. Not saying sloth is wrong, just adding a typical legal caveat.

Legally, an OEM license travels with the machine. What is unclear is what constitutes a "machine."

Since you replaced the motherboard, that is a big part of the "machine", but does repairing it mean it is a different machine? Microsoft might argue the point.

That said, following sloths suggestion is the proper way to go. If it does not activate via the Internet, call the 1-800 number and inform the person on the phone that you had a hardware failure and that a technician replaced a part. Tell them you only have one computer, and this version of windows you are activating is not on any other machine.