Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD64 equivalent of HT ?

• Please log in to reply

talha_81

talha_81

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey!

I have an Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754) on a MSI K8T Neo running WinXP pro.
Whenever i put in a scratchy CD / DVD in my DVD drive, the system seems to slow down considerably, its very hard to switch windows even. Ideally, an I/O operation from the DVD rom should not take up CPU time no matter how faulty the DVD drive.

In comparison ... on the Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (with HT turned on) running on the Intel D865 at my work place with the same OS, any single process doesn't stifle any interactivity with the rest of the processes / applications.

I want to ask ... what is the AMD equivalent for HT in the PIV processors. I am sure there is one. Is there any way i can improve the performance of my PC under such conditions.

Cheers,

Talha

Edited by talha_81, 12 July 2005 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
AMD doesn't have an equivilent to Hyper Threading, just like Intel doesn't have an Equivilent of Hyper Transport. As far as I can tell you with your problem I do not know of any solutions unless it lies in the Disk-Drive, which would probably mean reaplacent.

Edited by bmc2k7, 12 July 2005 - 03:33 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Does this problem occur with any cd/dvd? I am thinking maybe a power supply issue, when the dvd is running its drawing the 12v rail down or maybe all the rails.

What psu do you have? if possible list the amps on all the rails.

Rick

talha_81

talha_81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey!

Now this is interesting ... It seems to happen with all the CDs. Right now i was using audiograbber (v1.83) to rip some music CDs while also using the old fashioned mplayer2 (v6.4) to listen to some of the other music (Already stored on my HDD). For each track the software first rips the music to a wav file and then encodes it to mp3.

During the phase in which music is being ripped to a wav (involves reading from the CD), the music i am listening to becomes very choppy and slow; and when the wav is being encoded to mp3 (all reading and writing from HDD) the music becomes good again.

I am using the stock MSI Corecenter utility to measure the system temp and voltage. The voltage doesnt seem to drop below the required level. I must have attached with this message a screen shot of the process when the music slows down. Apparently, it doesnt seem to be the case that i am undervolting it.

My PC has been very stable and does not restart or hang very often, while right now, I am using a very standard 350W PSU for:

Athlon64 3000+ (socket 754)
MSI K8TNeo
2 * HDD = (120GB + 40 GB)
2 * 512 MB RAM DDR400
1 52X CD ROM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

What do you suggest I do now? Do i need to carry out any more software tests? Is there still evidence to blame my PSU?

Talha

Attached Thumbnails

• ChoppyMusic.jpg

Edited by talha_81, 13 July 2005 - 01:41 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Here is how AMD tells you to check if you PSU is the right size for you system if you look down the pages it tell you how to do it.
PSU info.
:tazz:

P.S. I never use anything under a 450W

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I am using a very standard 350W PSU

I guess this is a generic psu then, a generic usually do not have very stable voltages and can cause strange things to happen such as this.

There should be a decal on the psu that lists the amps, check the amps of the +12v. Amd recomends at least 18A but most users of Amd 64 cpu's report that amps in the mid 20's is best.

I am not sure this is the problem but if your psu does not meet the specs above do yourselve a favor and get a good Antec, Enermax, Forton, thermaltake of atleast 400w but check the 12v amps before deciding.

This may just fix the problem.

My PC has been very stable and does not restart or hang very often,

A stable pc should not restart or hang at all, period, if it restarts then there is a hardware problem

Rick

talha_81

talha_81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you can tell me how can I know the amps on my rails.

Do i have to probe my MoBo somewhere with an ammeter or something?

Also, how would I get to know the current requirements of my peripherals and equipment?

Talha.

Edited by talha_81, 14 July 2005 - 11:23 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The only way I know to find out the amps on the rails is to read the specs provided by the manufactuer, if there is no decal on the psu itself and you do not know the make and model I can't even look it up.

If this info is not on the psu that suggests to me that it is cheap junk.

With the specs you listed here is one I recomend, when reviewing the specs you will see 12V1 and 12V2 at 18 amps each, you total the two of them to get a total of 36A on the 12V rail.

Heres another one a bit less money that will also work.

I ain't trying to push Antec here so remember there are other quality manufactuers as I listed above just pick one with similar specs to the Antecs.

I also ain't sure absolutely sure this is your problem but if it were me and I did not know the specs of a psu or if I knew the psu was generic I would replace it first to see if it corrects the problem.

Rick