Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios password

• Please log in to reply

donr53

donr53

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi I'm going to thank you for your help right from the start. I aquired a computer with xp pro on it. Who ever had it has the bios password protected. I would just like to eliminate the unknown password all together.
Thanks donr53

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, I'm banking on you having some prior experience with the internal workings of a computer. What you need to do is shutdown the pc and unplug it from your power source. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Once this is done, hold the power button on the front of the case in for about 15-20 seconds. Put the battery back in its place, close the case, plug the machine back in and boot it up. This should clear all settings in the BIOS and set it back to its defaults.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't forget to ground yourself by touching the metal case before touching the motherboard

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the information. I was hoping for a way that I wouldn't disturb the settings. I'm new at this, and want to explore some before trying anything. I've been in the registry exploring, and I do know not to change anything, without percise instructions. Thanks Donr53