Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

blank monitor on startup

• Please log in to reply

macdadi257

macdadi257

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heres the deal

I have a Dell XPS (laptop), and resently whenever I try to start up the machine the fans turn on, and I assume the harddrive turns on (I can hear it spin), but the monitor stays black. I have to keep pressing the power button on and off anywhere between 5 and 20 times before the monitor turns on. Once it does turn on it is slow to startup, but once it gets to the desktop it's fine. I occationally get a message that says that a "gerneric host process" has encountered an error once it gets the the desktop. I have ad aware, spybot, easy cleaner, CCleaner, and E-trust antivirus, but the scans come up negitive every time. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
it sounds like theres a problem with your video card. First, make sure that your card is seated in the slot all the way and is secure. If the problem persists, i would suggest trying another video card in your machine. (I know this may be difficult seeing as your machine is a laptop).

--Chris

macdadi257

macdadi257

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the idea, but before I go buying and switching video cards does anyone know of a program that can test your video card's intergrity?

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Have contacted Dell about the problem? They should be able to tell you what type of video card you have in your laptop as well as help diagnose your problem. If your laptop is still under warrenty they might ask you to send it in to have it looked at. They could also suggest a program to test the integrity. (I would love to help with located such program but I would need to know what type/brand of video card you have in your machine)

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 13 July 2005 - 11:50 AM.

macdadi257

macdadi257

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it's a radion 9700 128MB. I would call dell, but I don't have the time to sit on the phone with them for hours on end...As a side note, I think I may have blew the smaller fan that cools the video card, but I'm not sure cause my battery is dead and I broke my power cord (whops!). would the video card overheating cause these problems? I would imagine so. However, you cannot buy new fans from the dell website, so I guess I'll check ebay or something. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
yeah, I would say the broken fan may be causing the problem. If you can find a place that sells those fans I would reccomend getting a replacement, or simply returning the video card to dell and getting a replacement, (assuming that its still under warrenty)

--Chris