Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

System Won't Run CD-ROM Drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure what happened, but in the process of getting rid of my spyware and adware problems, now when I insert a CD it doesn't run, and if I try to execute it from winfile.exe, it says there is no disk in drive H. To further complicate matters, someone advised me that I should reinstall Windows 98, and for some reason the Product Key on the manual it came with isn't recognized by the system as belonging to the install disk.

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
regarding the product key:
you might get another set of eyes to look at the product key. the most common error is mistaking numbers as characters(i.e. 8 instead of B).

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have your cabinet files in the C: drive? They will generally be in C:\win98 or C:\windows\options\cabs. If you do you don't need the disk you can open setup in the cabinet folder. You can usually find your PK here.

Start>Run, type in regedit, when Registry Editor opens expand H-Key Local Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows and highlight Curent Version (CurVer) The panel on the right will have your working product key. You can also coppy the cabinet files from the CD onto a formatted C: and do an install using them.

It occurs that you may have to go into safe mode to find the key, or you ma;y have wiped it out during the install attempt. As far as I can tell the product key has to match the product number, widows for computerw without windows is product 115, OEM windows is product 120.

Edited by Tyger, 12 July 2005 - 02:02 PM.