Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full hard drive

• Please log in to reply

arrowood

arrowood

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Our 8.5 GB hard drive has only 760 MB left. I uninstalled (through control panel) all of the programs we no longer use. I ran disk clean-up and emptied the Outlook folders. I also moved all of our documents, pictures, music files, etc. to an external drive. I recovered less than 100 MB. What is taking up my memory? How do I get rid of it? Can I reformat the hard drive and start over?

The lack of memory is causing some running problems (out of memory errors), especially when we try to print.

Thank you!

Windows 98 SE
128 MB RAM

Jeff

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would run scandisk first. There are viruses that cause damage to your boot sector causing it to read as though you are using much more of your disk space. Just go start>Run, type in scandisk, then hit OK.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Right click on C:\windows\Temporary Internet Files folder, choose properties, and see how large it is. Do the same for C:\windows\temp.

makai

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to have a look at this post, the last entry might apply to your case. Your virtual memery may be using up all your space.

http://www.geekstogo...isk-t43364.html

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Did you run a defrag after deleting all the stuff? Its important to when you add or delete a large number of files or big files to prevent the HD from getting fragmented.

arrowood

arrowood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running defrag now, then I'll run scandisk. I take better care of my laptop on which I do all of my work, but I haven't run defrag or scan disk on my desktop for a very long time. I'll run spybot too. Then I'll check the virtual memory and the temp files.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Keep them coming! Is there anyplace else to look for fat besides the temp folders?

Edited by arrowood, 13 July 2005 - 11:13 PM.

arrowood

arrowood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ran defrag and gaidne about 35MB. However, when I ran scandisk, it kept restarting (because a program wrote to the C-drive). I closed down all programs and exited all of the programs in the taskbar that I could, but scandisk still kept restarting. Any suggestions?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here's something to try while you are waiting for a reply regarding scandisk.

has the recycle bin been emptied lately? if not, empty it and see if you have any more free space.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Why dont you try it in safe mode?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I ran defrag and gaidne about 35MB.  However, when I ran scandisk, it kept restarting (because a program wrote to the C-drive).  I closed down all programs and exited all of the programs in the taskbar that I could, but scandisk still kept restarting.  Any suggestions?

View Post

If you're using a screensaver, change to none.

arrowood

arrowood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ran scandisk in safe mode - and after a few tries I got it to complete a thorough scan. It found a bunch of folders that had file names too long for MS-DOS. The default fix was to move them, so I chose that for most of the files. Then I ran Spybot and got rid of some spyware. Finally, I ran McCaffy Uninstall and got rid of a few defunct programs and then cleaned out the trash, temp folders, etc. I had run defrag before, but I'll run it again. I am up to 893MB free on the hard drive. :tazz: That should get rid of the "out of memory" errors, but I am still wondering what is eating up all of the memory. When I uninstalled those programs and their related files, they only freed up 100-200 MB of memory. I'll keep checking for programs we don't use and use Uninstaller to get rid of them, since Uninstaller gets rid of all related files, including dlls.

Thanks for all your help. Is there a next step?

arrowood

arrowood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You might want to have a look at this  post, the last entry might apply to your case. Your virtual memery may be using up all your space.

http://www.geekstogo...isk-t43364.html

View Post

The suggestion was to check virtual memory. I looked at my settings and the minimum was set at 500 with a maximum of 1000. Is that an optimal setting? I changed the maximum (per the post's suggestion) to the max allowed, but kept the minimum at 500.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

The suggestion was to check virtual memory.  I looked at my settings and the minimum was set at 500 with a maximum of 1000.  Is that an optimal setting?  I changed the maximum (per the post's suggestion) to the max allowed, but kept the minimum at 500.

View Post

If it's set at those values it can't be using less or more than .5gb or 1.0 gb of your disk space. Have you checked with Microsoft Updates to see if there are any fixes related tp memory usage? I seem to recall at least one.