Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help clearing out old PC.

• Please log in to reply

sandwich

sandwich

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have an old PC which I haven't used in quite sometime that is running Win98 on it. There are no programs or any software that i use, yet alone need anymore on it. I'd like to make a fresh start on it, and I would really appreciate any help that you can offer on how to reformat the hard drive. Any suggestions would be awesome.

thx.
donnie

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts
Here's the Reader's Digest version. <_<

1. Download a Win98SE boot disk here: http://www.bootdisk.com

2. Boot you computer using the floppy disk created above.

3. At the command prompt (A:/), type fdisk. Delete all primary and extended partitions. Next, create a primary partion, and any extended partitions desired. Enable large disk support.

4. At the command prompt type format c:. Select Fat32 file system.

5. With Windows98 setup CD installed, at the command prompt type setup

If you have questions, just ask.

Here's a link with more details: http://support.micro...com/kb/q221829/

sandwich

sandwich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thx for your help. I'm going to give it a try. One quick question though about this, " Delete all primary and extended partitions. Next, create a primary partion, and any extended partitions desired. Enable large disk support." After I type in fdisk a the command prompt, is that quote part above pretty self-explainatory, or do i have to know a little more about what I'm doing to be able to do it?? does that make sense?? lol. Thank u again.

donnie

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts
The fdisk is optional, but ensures you have removed everything from the drive. I think it's pretty self explanatory, but there are some very good fdisk guides on the Net, and if you get stuck you can always ask us. <_<

sandwich

sandwich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, thx again for your help. Those instructions worked very well. Just a few twist & turns, but I figured it out. Everything's the way I want it right now. You're awesome.

donnie