Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Hard Drive Failure?

• Please log in to reply

jcoa

jcoa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Looking for some help with our Windows XP (Home) desktop computer. After running for 10-15 minutes, it begins to create a, "tick-toc-tick-toc-tick-toc" sound and freezes up. I turn the computer off and wait for a half hour, but each time I start it back up, it seems the available time it works is getting less and less.

Is it the hard drive and is it starting to fail?

Second part: I've copied over most of the files I need to another hard drive (physical one - just had it installed). IF the computer no longer starts up, how do I tell which is the newly installed hard drive (that is good)? I guess I would have to remove the old hard drive and discard. Would installing Windows XP Home write over all the saved files on the new hard drive?
Cheers, Jcoa :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have another computer with the same operating system put the new hard drive in and tranfer the files to it for safe keeping, then replace the bad drive with the new one and do a fresh install of windows.

Yes, running the installation will destroy your files.

jcoa

jcoa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I would recommend burning these data into CD's and labeling them.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello,

I have looked in to your situation and have come to a conclusion that Windows XP Repair will help you. Click Here to find out how.

Good luck :tazz: