Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD Athlon processor not compatible with USB 2.0?

• Please log in to reply

w00bs

w00bs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello

i have an HP 532n desktop with an AMD Athlon motherboard. i am trying to install a USB 2.0 card, but i am having problems getting the card to work. the OS (Windows XP SP2) has detected it, but it tells me the drivers have not been installed properly and the device will not work. while the card is in, the computer locks up and will not transfer any data. sometimes the computer will just randomly shut off. when i remove the card, the computer functions normally.

in the instructions of the card (made by belkin,) it says the card was designed for Pentium based windows systems, but it does not say that it will not work with AMD systems.

is the card incompatible with the AMD motherboard? are there any cards out there that ARE compatible with AMD computers?

thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The card should be compatible with Amd I don't think thats the problem. Did you install the drivers from a disk that came with the card?

If so uninstall them and reinstall if you have not already done so.

Try a different pci slot.

You could also check belkins website for updated drivers but I haven't herd of any driver issues with that card and XP sp2

If it continues to lock up the computer after this it must be bad.

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
something to consider is that its an HP machine. HP, compaq, and dell will sometimes use propietary drivers, especially on their older machines. I would suggest you go the the HP website, look up your computer model, and see if they have any drivers available.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I have couple of those Belkin cards and had nothing but trouble actually getting them to work. I even had more trouble with an ALi card I got at CompUSA and never got it to work. The problem lies in the fact that Belkin did not follow the Microsoft protocols for installing the drivers. The USB2.0 cards seem to use two IRQs so putting them on an older machine is nearly impossible, on the newer machines you sort of have to "trick" the machine into installing the drivers. And I found that Microsoft had an upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0 for my Dell, so I didn't even need a card for it. And I got a nice little hard drive case that had a USB2,0 upgrade for win98 and SE that works great.

So I'd suggest that first you see if you can't get a driver update from Microsoft through the driver upgrade. Or maybe the machine mfr. would have one.