Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failing to renew IP Address on networked computer

• Please log in to reply

umm

umm

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Guys,

I have two computers which i have networked. They were both working fine but now the second computer will not connect tothe interent. It is failing to renew the IP address. The rest of the network works fine ;) . I have tried the repair function in the network settings and i have tried to release and renew it through command prompt. Neither of these work and i am out of ideas :tazz:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :help:

Thanks ;)

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
What kind of error message do you get when renewing your IP?

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Repair Connection

The following steps of the repair operation failed:
REnewing the IP address.

Please contact your network administrator or ISP.

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I need you to click start>run> and type in command and hit enter.
In the black box i need you to type in ipconfig -release and hit enter. Then type in ipconfig -renew and hit enter. Tell me what you get here.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Same sort of thing happened to me, try this.

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Getting the error will determine weather or not it is a winsock issue.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried the ipconfig and gto the following msg:

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Does it sound like a winsock error?

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey

Thanks for the help. Its fixed now. I just set up the network connection again and then it fixed the problem. I had tried this on numerous occasions before though with no success ;) Oh well, thanks for your time and effort.

:tazz: Cheers ;)

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Usually that kind of error indicates a problem on the ISP's end.

goddessxx

goddessxx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!! Its driving me nuts...ipconfig is not working. After -release it shows

Windows IP Configuration

blahblahblah (everything is 0.0.0)

Then i type in -renew, and theres no response for 5 min...then theres that same error message...DCHP has timed out.

Im using a router to get on the internet. It was working okay a few days ago, now its suddenly messed. Everything's plugged in right so what's the problem???

How do u resetup ur network connection?

Edited by goddessxx, 14 July 2005 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Godess, if you are getting that kind of error with a router plugged in then there is probably a problem with your router, bypass the router and see if the connection works.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Go into network connections. On the left is a link that says "Set up a home or small office network." Click on that and follow the wizard. Do it on both computers starting with the one that connects to the internet. I don't have a router though so ...

goddessxx

goddessxx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried it without the router...with the modem plugged right in: doesnt work.

To 'umm': i tried setting up network...in the end they asked for this card, what should i click? I have no card wat-so-ever about the computer.

Edited by goddessxx, 15 July 2005 - 05:28 PM.

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
With the computer going straight to the modem still (bypassing the router), Unplug the power to your modem and turn off your computer. Turn the power back on to the modem first and wait for all the lights to come on and do their thing, usually about a minute or two. Then turn on your computer and try connecting again. If you are still unable to connect I would give your ISP a call.

Not to try to point you to someplace else, but we can only help you with your equipment. If it is a service issue, your ISP can tackle it from both angles simultaneously. Plus, it's probably easier and quicker to resolve over the phone than in a forum.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not sure what card that its talking about. I can only think of a network card but I don't know anything about routers so I'm not sure whether or not you have one so... sorry.