Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen after P.O.S.T

• Please log in to reply

mattiolio

mattiolio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
my friend wasloading HP printer software when Win 98 se froze .
She tried to reset but it would only give her a black screen , with that famous cursor .
I am nmot sure what to do after i start it in safe mode . which i havent tried yet as it is at her place and we're at work could it be a ram prob or a HDD prob or what but i had to replace the psuLast week and i think she might think that i stuffed something up but if i did it wouldnt work.
Can someone please help....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you tap the F8 key right after the beep and get the options screen, choose command prompt only then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it has run and shows registry repaired, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

If it boots normally, press start, programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools, run system file checker and replace any files it needs from the 98SE CD.

Edited by Keith, 12 July 2005 - 11:39 PM.

mattiolio

mattiolio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks keith will try that and will get back tomorrow thanx again 4 ur time> :tazz:

mattiolio

mattiolio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx Keith it worked scanreg came up clean so no damaged or lost files of 98. cheers!!
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know