Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

notebook selection advise

• Please log in to reply

bjcarroll

bjcarroll

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am a small business person who is purchasing a specialty software application to assist me during client sessions. my question relates to where i should shop/what i should seek for the purchase of 10 notebook computers, preferably xp, but with minimum memory and no peripherals other than wireless network. i'm not at all tech savvy. the software will reside on my notebook (host) and allow each user to "log on" to a facilitated session via either their wireless, or if remote, via the internet. there is no significant amount of local memory required (ie., in the 10 stations) and only storage of session information is on the "host".

two questions:

1. any sense of what the cheapest notebook alternative is? ...since i have to lug them about to client sites, the only "feature" that would be nice is their being light weight. and;

2. any sense of where the best place(s) to purchase is? i live in canada (vancouver) should that matter (??),

at any rate, thanks for contemplating my question,

regards,

brian

Advertisements

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
If you're looking for 'Budget Friendly' models (e.g. $800.00/US or less -- at that time) the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports covered those.

The June 2004 issue covered the 'Workhorse' (which I don't believe is what you're asking about) as they have all the ports & drives built in and aren't lightweight or battery-efficient.

The 'slim & light' ones (about 3 lbs.) start at about $1,500.00/US -- according to the June 2004 issue.

However, I've just seen that the September 2004 issue has all new ratings for desktops and laptops. You may want to take a look at it (I'm going to) as it generally highlights a budget conscious model; repair history of companies, features offered, technical support, etc.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I'm not a big fan of Wal-mart, especially their business practices, and the wages and benefits offered to employees. But this sounds like what you're looking for.

http://news.com.com/..._3-5315244.html