Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't access workgroup

• Please log in to reply

phyzie

phyzie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi

i try to access workgroup in my company..but i have a problem..
although i have setting in my computer properties...i used the same name workgroup like other pc...but my pc can't access..

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
it can be many reasons:

1. your pc isn't living in the same subnet.
2. you haven't enabled file and printer sharing
3. the access depends on the system you are trying to connect to, for example it might be running a firewall which is blocking you from accessing the files.

if you could let us know how you have setup your workgroup and what systems are there.

phyzie

phyzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
1- i used the same subnet mask with the other pc

2- i don't where to setting the file or printer sharing..do you mean setting in folder option?

3- i dont think there have firewall to block the access.

actually i don't know how setup workgroup...what i know just setting in my computer propertis and put the same workgroup.
here we dont have server just switch to access internet.. :tazz:

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
no it doesn't work this way.
if you have XP then go to My Network Places and on the left hand side you will see setup home network, run through the wizard and it should connect your pc to the rest of the workgroup.