Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\Windows\System32 folder missing/corrupted!

• Please log in to reply

phoenix451

phoenix451

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have Windows XP Professional and my system32 folder is missing. I think an update caused it, but am unsure. After doing the command attrib

attrib -a -h -r -s c:\windows\system32

I was able to get the folder visible again, but now any program i install will not work and will give a "xxxxxxx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.

I think this is because the program is looking for a required .dll file in the system32 folder but cant get it and therefore terminates. Note that all my other programs that have been installed before the update (a few weeks ago actually) work fine.

Does anyone know any sure techniques to fix this as i do not want to do a repair job of windows since my version is too new and the cd says a reinstall is the only option. Or would a repair work if i uninstall sp2?

Thanks for the help

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
http://www.geekstogo..._32-t43413.html
That is a topic with -I think- the same problem. Read all the replies and see if they can help you solve your problem.

Emery

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello,

I have looked in to your situation and have come to a conclusion that Windows XP Repair will help you. Click Here to find out how.

Good luck :tazz:

phoenix451

phoenix451

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, in reading the post mentioned in #2, i searched for the comdlg32.dll file which should be in the system32 folder only, but instead i have 4 in

C:\89932
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Servicepackfiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989

Also from the post in #2;

no system 32 in what procedure I outlined?

Do a search, including hidden and system files, for comdlg32.dll

This file MUST be on your machine and is in the system32 directory (or whatever it was renamed)

My guess it that an error occured at one time? Did you ever run a repair?

ALso, right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED tab, click ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES button, then click the PATH line and EDIT.

select everything, then CANCEL button, then paste contents here

Here is the content from the Path box of Environment Variables :

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

is there anything i should edit out of there?

Edited by phoenix451, 13 July 2005 - 03:22 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u check the value of windir varaible in same place.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
don't change anything in the path, type %SystemRoot%\system32 and press enter. Look in the address bar for the location of your system32 folder, it should give you the full path.

phoenix451

phoenix451

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
windir variable is

%SystemRoot% in edit mode and just C:\WINDOWS in plain view in the box.

as for typing %SystemRoot%\system32 and enter --- i can access and see the drive fine now, its just that other programs cant! is there a reg file or path to edit so it points to this folder now?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
what kind of programs asking for the location of your system32 folder?

phoenix451

phoenix451

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried running yuri's revenge (old game, i know) and it kept saying

" Main executable for Yuri's Revenge has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

with the option to send error report. I dont know if anyone would understand this but in the debug mode the line in question was

005CAAF1   div         eax,edi

I have no idea what this means, i just assumed it has to do with the system32 problem. After i turned to the build debug though, it was very clear.

Loaded 'C:\Westwood\RA2\gamemd.exe', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dsound.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\Westwood\RA2\BINKW32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AntiSpam\ASOEHOOK.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr71.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbcatq.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comres.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\Westwood\RA2\Blowfish.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\sxs.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp2res.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\SSSensor.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mslbui.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
The program 'C:\Westwood\RA2\gamemd.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Same thing happens with Battlefield 2 demo, with a very similar debug result.

Edited by phoenix451, 15 July 2005 - 03:20 PM.

Andrew4567

Andrew4567

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem but I did not see a solution on this list, can anyone help us both get Yuri's Revenge working on a XP envirionment? :tazz: Red Alert2 works fine and I have downloaded all the latest pathches and restarted my machine but still can't get Yuri's Revenge to work.

Aero

Aero

• Pip
  • 5 posts
im not sure about this but depending on how old the game is it may not be compatible with Win xp what you can do is try to to run the program compatibility wizard

Program Compatibility Wizard

1.Click Start, click Help and Support, click Fixing a problem.

Click Application and software problems.

Click Getting older programs to run on Windows XP.

Click the Start the Program Compatibility Wizard link.

adn if not just go directly to the microsoft website http://www.microsoft.../durham_og.mspx

Edited by Aero, 28 July 2005 - 05:49 PM.