Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problem

• Please log in to reply

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
i have recently formatted the hard drive on my pc installed xp pro and now no sound i have formatted it before and ive had sound the drivers are there for the line out on my mobo but it just says no audio device

hope someone can help

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Go to my computer, right click properties, hardware, device manager. Look at the 'sound, video and game controllers", do you see the sound card there? Does it have a yellow ! next to it? If it does, you need to install the audio controller/driver. Is this on board audio or a PCI sound card?

If you are not sure what sort of sound card it is, you can run Belarc Advisor and it will tell you. Use google to find Belarc Advisor.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

its onboard and yes there is yellow by it

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You need to install the driver for it. It should be on your motherboard cd. If you don't have that, you can get it on the web, either at the motherboard manufacturer web page or the audio controller manufacturer (like Realtech or what ever it it). If you are not sure what you have, go to http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html and get Belarc Advisor. It will tell you all about your system, identifying the motherboard, audio controller, video etc. It will even display the windows license key. Run that. Then go get the driver you need. Install it and that should fix it.