Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shuts self down?

• Please log in to reply

Aishenne

Aishenne

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
My PC randomly shuts itself down. I don't think the shutting down is associated to any one program we use since it shut down on different occasions. At one point when I tried rebooting it after it shut itself down, it just kept turning on, then shutting down, and when I turn it back on it shuts down again. It doesn't even reach the windows loading screen when it does that. Is this a problem with maybe a virus or something? Or has it got something to do with hardware? Thanks for any help :tazz: .

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Did you install anything on your computer before this happened?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
make sure your system isn't over-heating.
You can check the system temp. in your BIOS.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
That is what the next thing I was going to ask lol and you bet me to it, bummer! :tazz:

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, I didn't install anything new before it happened. And it started happening just yesterday, the day before it was fine, and no installations were made inbetween that.

It happened again today too while the PC had been on for just around an hour. Would overheating still be a possibility then? How do I access the BIOS data? Do I need to reboot? Thanks!

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can access the BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL on most of PC's. it should tell you press ( ) to go into setup or to enter the BIOS and that's when you first start your machine.

Overheating will cause your PC to reboot, your system constantly checking its temp. and it would reboot or shutdown if its overheating.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Some times i had that problem to, just brought a new fan, (so I have 3 now going on 4) to cool it.

But im going to have to get another 2 before summer comes.

id990176

id990176

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
it could be overheating but it also can be a virus. one of my desktops had a type of W32.SASSER virus/worm. it caused my computer to shutdown at any random moment. go look up it up SASSER at the symantec (Norton) website: http://securityrespo...tml#threat_list ..and look for solutions if it really is a type of virus/worm. Norton Internet Security that usually comes with their Antivirus software works pretty well in detecting and automatically removing it.

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi.. I kept pressing F2 when Windows was starting up but it never entered BIOS. Is there a way to get there or to check system temperature when I'm already in Windows? Thanks!

How would I know if it is that virus id990176 mentioned?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
When you turn on your pc, look for something that says: To enter or change your system settings press ''del, f8, f2 one of those ''.

That will open up your BIOS. Look around in your BIOS for tempatures and post them here if you find any.

Emery