The rest of this problem was resolved over instant message...the text follows. It has been edited to look a bit cleaner.worcesteradam
- i reached the registry where it lists the DVD drive...there is a label called Lowerfilters but no label called UpperfiltersThe_Sloth
- ok...here's where this can get dangerous. what you need to do first is go to the file menu and click on export. you will need to select a location you can remember to save this piece of your registry...this way if something goes wrong we can get back to where we are right nowworcesteradam
- ok..and export the entire registry?The_Sloth
- no, just the current branch...the entire registry could take hours to saveworcesteradam
- ok, click on the words LowerFilters and press the delete key, select yes on the window that pops up(side note: if there is a key titled UpperFilters, this needs to be deleted as well)worcesteradam
- done. now?The_Sloth
- now, close regedit, restart your computer and everything should be back to normal...instant message me when it reboots and let me know what happensworcesteradam
- ok..cool..just to add one thing...I didnt do anything to my system which should have caused this..do u think it could be a prob with my drive?The_Sloth
- its possible, but not likely...the only time i've seen this happen was when cd burning software was uninstalled and it left the key i had you delete out there. once the key is deleted the drives reappear...the steps you just took are roxio's solution to the problemworcesteradam
- ok!~see u in a couple of mins!The_Sloth
- ok...good luck
Edit #1: Unfortunately, this was not the solution that worcesteradam needed. This, however, is useful if you have just removed Roxio or Nero cd burning software. I will post the actual results to worcesteradam's problem once I complete troubleshooting with him on instant message.
Edit #2: When I refer to worcesteradam in this post, I am actually meaning the random person who IM'ed me on Yahoo! with a similar problem
. Troubleshooting with worcesteradam will continue on here and I will post the final results of "Random Guy" on here as well.
Edited by The_Sloth, 13 July 2005 - 10:14 AM.