Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Monitor on Power Up

• Please log in to reply

Franker2002

Franker2002

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A friend has an HP Pavilion 7935 and his computer wouldn't boot. I tested the power supply and it was dead so we ordered replacement from HP. After installing the new power supply we now have power - the computer starts, the fans spin, the hard drive spins up but nothing on the screen. We tried the monitor in my computer and it works fine. Any ideas?
:tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ouch!

When a computer turns on, eventually the monitor power light will turn from amber to green indicating there is a video signal coming from the computer. Does this happen?

Also, during boot up, the bios will check the ram, video, and processor. If all is good, you will hear a single beep tone and the computer will continue booting. Do you hear a beep tone? Do you hear any beeping at all?

If none of the above happens, it's a good bet that either the processor/motherboard got fried when the powersupply went out.

You might start by making sure all connections inside the case are secure. Check the video card and make sure it is seated correctly.

Doesn't sound good though!

makai

Franker2002

Franker2002

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Makai, thanks for the reply. There are no cards filling the PCI slots. Sound is onboard, video is onboard, LAN is onboard, modem is onboard. Also, no beeps indicating a POST of some kind. The monitor gives out a disconnect sync message when it is disconnected. This disappears as soon as we connect the monitor to the computer.
Could this be a BIOS problem? If I could just find the CMOS clear jumper I'm wondering if the board would spring back to life!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Maybe could be a bios problem. Pull the battery and leave it out for about 30 mins or so. Even if you can't find a reset jumper, removing the battery should clear the bios.

good luck,
makai