Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hardware issue?

• Please log in to reply

Kitsune

Kitsune

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys, I have an odd sort of issue, it'd be great if someone could shed some light on it.
Sometime last week my computer decided to quit reading CD-roms. Annoying yes, but it seems like I just need to replace the cd-reader. The funny thing is, windows will still read certain disks. I can put in a blank CD or a CD that I burned and it'll read perfectly fine. Yet I'll put in a game disk or anything else and the disk doesn't even read. :tazz: It won't even read my Windows installer disk. (Oh yes, that made me a happy camper right there ;) )

I'm still going to get a new reader and all, however I was just curious as to why it'd just read those disks and not anything else..lol it sees odd. For all I know it could be the simple fact that the reader is on it's last leg, however I thought I'd post and see what you all would make of it. Thanks for any help (if it's possible) in advance ;) .

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
your CD-ROM lense might be dirty, insert a crealing CD first before buying a new one. If it can read other CD's then it should read the rest.

Kitsune

Kitsune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
A crealing CD? I'm not sure I follow you on that, sorry. :tazz:

Thank you for the reply as well.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
opps hehe my spelling.. I meant a cleaning CD :tazz:

Kitsune

Kitsune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Lol, it happens. Thank you, I'll try that today and get back to you. (Probably should have done that to begin with now that I think about it lol) :tazz:

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
LOL like you said ... it happens :tazz:

Kitsune

Kitsune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm bad for them all the time lol.

The disk wouldn't even turn in the drive. :tazz: I used the "run" method and went into my computer to access the drive, however it turned up nothing again and the drive acted like there was no disk present. Device manager doesn't report any issues either. There's nothing to roll back too and there aren't any updates for it either, so I'm stomped at the moment.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Kitsune

I seem to recall somewhere that there is an issue in XP where the software wont recognize the certain CD drives or looses them. I belive there is an update on the MS website to fix the issue. Have you checked there/ installed that update?

EMCguy

Kitsune

Kitsune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No actually i hadn't heard of it ._. I'll check there, thank you!

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I remember where I saw the patch. Its on our web site ( geekstogo) under downloads>hardware>CDgone patch.

EMCGuy

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If the advice EMCguy gave you doesn't help, try reinstalling the drivers for your drive. (If you have any)

Emery

Kitsune

Kitsune

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for all the help guys.

I tried the patch and it helpfully pointed out that DirectCD needed to be updated- Which I did so when I updated to the latest version of Roxio.

I can burn CDs once more, but I still have the same dang issue. ;) So I tried what SAAB suggested and re-installed the drives, but it didn't help. I even took the case off and sprayed any and all dust out. That didn't help any either. I also picked up a new CD-Cleaning disk for the computer, however like with the others,

At the moment I have a little icon in my taskbar that says that DirectCD has no supported drive..but it'll still burn the disks, rofl. v-v''

Seeing how it's burning my stuff once more, I'm not too annoyed and I'll be sending it in to a family friend to see what he can make of it. The reader HAS been used a lot and it's about to turn about 5 years old this next spring I believe, so perhaps it's truly just age that's getting to it.

Thank you SO much for the time and help that was given, you guys are the best! :tazz:

~Kitsune