Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

move hard drive to new computer

• Please log in to reply

gheller

gheller

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had an older computer on which I had installed a new 40 gb maxtor hard drive a few months back. I was using Windows 2000 Pro operating system. The computer's motherboard fried this past week and I have junked the machine.

I have moved the hard drive to another computer (XP home operating system) and installed as a slave.

I can see the drive, but I cannot access any of my files.

what do I do?

thanks

Greg

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What is the error you are recieving? Does it say you don't have permission to open the files? Or can you not see the files at all?

gheller

gheller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It asks me to format the hard drive. The hard drive is showing on the new computer, but i can't access any data

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's possible to see the files and access them if you are still using a 2000 Pro operating system(OS), but with the new XP OS on your new computer, I don't think you can access those files again. Unfortunately you have to reformat the hard drive to XP platform and loose those files. Unless you can hook it up to another 2000 Pro OS to access those files and save them onto a disk. However, that might not work either, since your hard drive is acting as a big "floppy" disk when you hooked it up to your new computer XP OS, so the CD you saved the 2000Pro files onto is just like that big "floppy", it may/may not work.

If you did have 2000Pro OS installed on the Maxtor HD, then you definitely cannot access those files!! So a CD might actually work:)

Good Luck

Best,

Alphaethan