Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet with Linux

• Please log in to reply

roccobladr

roccobladr

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i put linux on my compuiter cuz windows is being really wierd and giving me an error so im gonna use linux until i figure it out....

anyway it wont let me connect to the internet. i have a REALLY crappy computer running linux and it connects fine. and i used to have linux on the computer (i wanna go online with) from before, but i cant seem to get a connection. any ideas?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
though I'm no expert with linux I'm sure some more information would be in order here...

What version of Linux? Are you using a gui? if so which one? How are you trying to connect? dial-up? dsl? cable? Is your modem/network card installed properly?

Details of what the computer is would help as well...

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
im pretty sure its mandrake 10.1, pretty recent i know for a fact. its using KDE. i have cable internet. my computer is self built, AMD athlong 2500+, 1GB pc3200 RAM, 80 GB hard drive, Radeon 9600 128MB. the ethernet jack is onboard.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
It should detect a cable modem automatically. Try resetting your network (turning on and off) and see if that works. Could it be a bad ethernet cable?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what browser are you using? try pinging your cable modem. if you can ping it see if you can ping google

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
how do you ping it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open a command line and type "ping <Ip address>" without the quotes and put an ip instead of <Ip address>

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
what i dont understand is this: why would it work last time i installed it, but not this time?

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i figured it out myself, thanx anyway i guess.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
What'd you do?

roccobladr

roccobladr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well i have a problem with windows so i reset my bios to default and that turned my onboard lan off. so i loaded up linux and it detected and stuff but it told me to restart so i did and now it doesnt work. ugh. i really hate computer right now.