Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Does anyone know if there is a maximum size to the file attachment for e-mails in outlook express.

I've beent trying to email a buddy a movie as a file attachment (8.9GB) and outlook will not respond after i click the send button.

If there is a size limit, does anyone know of a better FREE way to get a file this size to him (USING THE INTERNET AND NOT EXTERNAL DEVICES)

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Due to the large size of the file you are sending, Outlook will appear to freeze because it is trying to send. With a file that size, it will LITERALLY take hours to send and for your friend to download. Most e-mail services won't allow attachments over 2-3 MB, let alone almost 9 GB. Chances are you won't be able to send this file, in fact I'd be willing to bet a LOT of money on that fact. You'd be better off putting it on an external USB hard drive and taking it to him on that if he's nearby.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
or setting up an ftp session....a very long ftp session.....or if you can get ahold of a free website and upload it to there...i used to do that to share stuff

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
we both have premium high speed internet service 9mb downstream and 512k upstream so it shouldnt take that long should it??? i downloaded the file from imesh and it only took about 10 minutes.... he doesnt use imesh he uses kaza (virus riddled crap)..

i have seen other people using a ftp service, is this something i should look into... and if so is it FREE

any suggestions on where to find it at

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
why don't you burn it on a CD for him? :tazz:

Outlook doesn't support that size, I would think max of 2-3 MB. This application hasn't been created to send a huge amount of data. Even if outlook does support it, I haven't heard of an E-mail provider that supports attachments larger than 10 MB.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
outlook supports sending of any file size. it's the mail server that won't allow it. i assume you're using outlook to send from your ISP mail so it's virtually guaranteed that they won't allow it. what kind of file is it?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
answered my question: Darn Cox Communications limits email size on POP server to 200MB....

option 2 i tried compressing it down to 40% then burning it to a disk but when I unzipped it and went to view it .... it was jumpy and the quality had decreased alot (Blurry)....hmmm

i dont want to go buy an external hard drive java script:emoticon(':tazz:')
smilie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
tell him to get imesh and download it himself

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
OOPPSSss.. sorry forgot the file type for u: tried it as an AVI and MPG with same results