Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
the past fewdays my computer has been running slow. I can't open any microsoft office files. Adaware shows nothing spybot shows nothing norton shows nothing and spyware doctor shows nothing i don't know what it is. also internet explorer shuts down alot so i have to use firefox.(better anyway though) anyway i need some help. i tried everything my brother fixes these problems for a living for business. He found nothing either. i put it here and in malware. but in malware only staff can reply so i put a copy here so others can try to help maybe someone else had a similar problem.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
how much memory (RAM) ??

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i have 512 it is not the hardware that is the problem everything works fine maybe its like a new type of virus or spyware?
i know alot about computers and stuff but this is so strange.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can we have the rest of your system specs please?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
celeron 2.8 cpu
512mb ram
windows xp home

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you check the temps for the cpu etc? I know that when P4's get hot, the system decreases the cpu speed in order to slow it down & reduce the temperature. I assume this is the same for Celerons, so might be worth checking out if nothing else is obviously wrong.

Did this problem start suddenly or has it been getting gradually worse?
Also, does it run slow all the time, or just some of the time?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
well this just started the other day it does it all the time now first it was most of the time only. i can't open any microsoft office file. Word sais that the file is not available. Excel sais my virus scanner detects a problem outlook only gets about half of my email. Internet explorer crashes at random so i use firefox. just today if i shut down next time i boot up i need to reinstall firefox to use it. once installed it will work fine till the computer is shut down. the temp is fine. it is a notebook and i have a thing that pops up and warns you about heat. also its been restarting at random. It is an HP.