Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error coming up on my desktop when I load

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1060674153

this references this exact problem...i dont know if it is a sure fire sollution though

Advertisements

CrashCrash

CrashCrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

http://www.annoyance...inxp/1060674153

this references this exact problem...i dont know if it is a sure fire sollution though

View Post

How would I go about enabling this ICF?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's why i'm not sure if it's a sure fire sollution...the only thing i can think that it is referencing is internet connection firewall

CrashCrash

CrashCrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

that's why i'm not sure if it's a sure fire sollution...the only thing i can think that it is referencing is internet connection firewall

View Post

Well the Window's Firewall was on when I checked.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
ICF and Windows Firewall are different.
ICF was used before "Windows Firewall" (which came with SP2)

CrashCrash

CrashCrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

ICF and Windows Firewall are different.
ICF was used before "Windows Firewall" (which came with SP2)

View Post

Oh, so how do I know if it is enabled? Or does that have nothing to do with my problem?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If u don't find any results with u antivirus sessions. Maybe its not a virus.
It can be that one of the Services like "Plug And Play" must have crashed or stopped, as these few services are written in services.exe; It takes services.exe down too. Now windows has a recovery technique for all services, and in case of services which are written in services.exe it is: "To Restart the PC". Other servives like "Automatic Updates" which is written in "svchost.exe", have "No Action" as their Recovery Technique.

What u need to do is:
Start->Run.
Type "services.msc". Enter. This will open the Services Window.
Double click on each and every service in the right-pane. (which will open that Properties dialog for that service).
In the General Tab, check if the Path of executable for that service is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe" and the Start Type is not Automatic, list the service in ur next post.

FYI....U can also the Recovery technique of the services with services.exe is to Restart the PC.

CrashCrash

CrashCrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I finished the ewdio scan, and found some trojans. I'm not sure if they correlate with this or not, but I'm doing the AVG scan now.

I think my dad did install some sort of plug in play game on this computer. I'm not 100% positive but its possible. Could I just uninstall them, if that were the case?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
"Plug and Play" is got to do with Hardware. If u stop the service, ur Windows will not detect new hardware immediately.
As u said u found a trojan. This is shaping out to be a malware issue. U should start here. If u need any help regarding the trojan, go to the Malware Removal Forum and start a new topic.
If the problem still persists and u have no malware, then continue this thread.

CrashCrash

CrashCrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If u don't find any results with u antivirus sessions. Maybe its not a virus.
It can be that one of the Services like "Plug And Play" must have crashed or stopped, as these few services are written in services.exe; It takes services.exe down too. Now windows has a recovery technique for all services, and in case of services which are written in services.exe it is: "To Restart the PC". Other servives like "Automatic Updates" which is written in "svchost.exe", have "No Action" as their Recovery Technique.

What u need to do is:
Start->Run.
Type "services.msc". Enter. This will open the Services Window.
Double click on each and every service in the right-pane. (which will open that Properties dialog for that service).
In the General Tab, check if the Path of executable for that service is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe" and the Start Type is not Automatic, list the service in ur next post.

FYI....U can also the Recovery technique of the services with services.exe is to Restart the PC.

View Post

From what I got, there was no manual started from service.exe.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No Disabled ones too? (which match the same criteria)
Were any of them stopped.

What happened about ur trojan.
U should go the Malware Removal Forum for that.