Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply

Simon E

Simon E

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am using a Linksys wireless network adaptor connected to my desktop. I have set up a network and I can connect to the internet with my laptop via the network adaptor. Both computers show connection to a wireless network connection (peer-to-peer)

However, I am unable to access any shared folders or the printer attached to the desktop. The destop does not show any computers under the 'view network computers' link. The laptop does show itself under this link on the laptop, but nothing else.

Both computers have the same workgroup name. File and printer sharing is enabled. My friends laptop can access the network and my laptop. My laptop can access his. Neither appear on the desktop. Desktop does not appear on friends laptop, but he too can access internet through wireless adapter (but obviously not files or printer)

Please could someone help me access printer and files from my laptop. Many thanks.

I am not computer literate - please could any explanations be understanable to any fool.

Simon E

Edited by Simon E, 13 July 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Well there are couple of things you need to do to be able to see each other's stuff.

The printer needs to be shared on the host, so wherever the printer is connect it you need to right click and share (specify an easy printer name), this would enable you to see the printer and connect to it, hence print to it.

About your file sharing, same principle. You need to know what you are sharing and right clikc on that folder or file and share. Be aware if your wireless link isn't secure, anyone with a wireless device even a PDA can access both of your PC's and temper with your files. Protect your Workgroup, encrypt your link then start sharing.

Hope that helps and good luck!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
temporarily disable your firewalls to see if they are blocking the share process.... 95% of the network trouble calls i run are from firewalls still enabled (after the customer says they disabled them)and blocking the share ability. if this works uninstal the firewall then reboot your pc and reinstall the firewall with the file and print share turned on and answer yes when the install wizard asks you to allow it.

disable them through msconfig if you have to.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
he doesn't need to re-install. Simplest thing if he runs through the home network wizard, that would enable any ports required.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
good catch semiko....but...... that will only work for the OS firewall, but not if its a third party software firewall.... you can run the wizard all day long and if your firewall isnt configured correctly you will not be able to share files and printers.... running the Windows Network Wizard has no control over firewalls from say MCafee, Norton or Sygate. These firewalls are from another manufacter (not Windows) and thus must be configured by themselves and not windows.... hence not able to share.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Well I say (from my own experience of course) that it would work. The OS has far more rights on the system than any other application. Unless a rule is applied! Run the network wizard first and check before you do anything else, these ports won't get block unless he used file sharing previously (whic he didn't) and blocked that port.

Give it a go.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
no pepe contest here man im just trying to help... and mcafee and norton are the bane of my trade as a residential network tech.... they cause more share problems than imiganible "if not configured correctly" simply unistalling then running the wizard and then reinstalling is the easiest way to explain to someone over the internet (for me) on how to fix their problem... but you are correct too... the network wizard must be ran also, along with enabling the shared folder.... and adding the shared printer of course.

I really like this site... i Am new here and the info these geek staff members give out is some good stuff.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
hey SpaceCowboy706 :help:

there is no contest or anything I am here to help as well an I learn from other users as well. I am no geek believe me ;) hehe

Your opinion is valid and I didn't disagree but I rolled out an option to try something more simple before going through the re-install of a firewall.

Sorry man I appologise if I offended you :tazz: I value everyones opinion. Hope we could have you as a helper for others, as you might know computer problems never has an end. ;)

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
cool.... i only know networking ..... is all i do for 12 hours a day 4 days a week.... some of the staff members on here seem to take offense when someone else suggests something different (so ive read in some of the other posts)...

And your a right yet again ... pc problems will always be around (ummm.. unless microsoft can find a way to fix that also)... hopefully they dont...or we will be out of a job...