Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to format my hard drive on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

scf2510

scf2510

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am trying to refromat and reinstall windows xp on my computer but it is not letting me format the drive. On all my older pc's all i had to do was make a startup disk and type "format c:" in the dos prompt outside of windows. But with my comuter right now it just gives me the message "bad command or file name". Can anyone tell em what I am doing wrong?

oh yeah, I use FAT 32 file system

and my 2nd question is, Whats the difference between the fat 32 file system and the nfts(or whatever its called) file system?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
let me answer your first question, for windows XP you wouldn't need to start from bootup disks, you basically pop the CD in and boot from it, it would prompt your to format your HDD and even partition it if you want to. It would give you the choice of either FAT32 or NTFS and after it finishes formatting your drive it would carry on installing automatically.

Regarding your second question, NTFS and FAT32 are different in many ways. NTFS supports large HDD space I think in Terabytes, on the other hand FAT32 only supports i think (if not mistaken! correct me if I am wrong!) about 32GB so its a big difference there. Also and most imposrtant NTFS adds security to your data, with FAT32 you can specify permission on your files, on NTFS you can specify any permissions like just read or read/write etc.

I would always go for NTFS in the post 2000 domain, also to mention NTFS can access FAT32 partition and read files, but FAT32 can't access NTFS!

Hope I answered your questions.

scf2510

scf2510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok thank you for your help.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts