Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

im not sure if its good or not

• Please log in to reply

antty

antty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i bought sims 2 and it lags and i think its my video card thats the problem and im going to by a new one the one im going to buy is ASUS V9400-X TD GeForce4 MX4000 8x 64MB and im not sure if that is good enough.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
word of advice when buying a graphics card, look at the memory. Always go for a high memory for example at least 128MB these days. My old PC came with 64MB it works ok but lags which is understandable.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My daughter plays simms on a MX4000 32meg card with no problems.

What do you mean by lags?

Are you using an LCD or CRT screen?

What are your systems specs?

Do you have a ton of background processes running normally?

makai

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
my system spec as follows:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel 3.2 GHz
512MB DDR RAM
Geforce 440 MX 64MB
FSB 800MHz

its an above average spec and it runs well. I have built it myself.
when I say my game is lagging, it means the response time is slow and it freezes sometimes.
I have a 19" CRT, but that shouldn't matter and wouldn't effect the performance of the PC, only resolution can effect it.
I run the minimum in terms of background processing, I have a Sygate firewall and Avast antivirus. That's all! :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Samiko,
I wasn't referring to your system, I was asking the original poster. Your system looks fine... but I would change the vid card to a higher spec'd one and also add 512 more megs of ram... then it would do that processor some justice!

By the way, LCDs show trace problems (ghosting) when playing games... CRTs don't (hardly) due to refresh rates. That's the reason I asked the poster.

makai

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
LOL sorry makai you should have specified who you were referring to, I surrender :tazz:

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Definitely change the video card. 512 isn't 'required' but it sure would be nice. I suggest 256 as a minimum and go from there. Geforce makes a great card if you want to start looking there.

-Matt

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
samiko... you see what you started? LOL!!!

makai