Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISASS.EXE kicking my @ss

• Please log in to reply

pbj417

pbj417

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC seems to be infected by a virus. I walked away from it yesterday for a moment and returned to find this message:

issass.exe System Error

An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

I clicked OK and the pc appeared to reboot. The same message came up again. I tried to boot in safe mode by pressed F8, but it did not work. I went through this cycle a few times before powering down and up during the initial boot up. This allowed me to choose safe mode, but upon choosing this, the same error message appeared.

I am at a loss as to how to approach this.

Just in case this is needed:
PC - Compaq Presario 2100
Windows XP with Service Pack 2
No floppy available
CD R/RW is available
I have a jump drive I can use as well

I am currently using my friends PC to access your site. Any help you can provide would be extemely appreciated.

PJ

Advertisements

The_Big_G

The_Big_G

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
welcome to g2g pbj417 i am the_big_g and will be helping you

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

pbj417

pbj417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Big_G

I did read the guide before posting. The problem that I can't get past is that the PC won't even boot. I don't know how I will be able to run the tool if I can't even get past the error. It's stuck in a perpetual loop. Any advise on how to boot without a floppy drive?

Thanks for responding. I hope you can help.

PJ

The_Big_G

The_Big_G

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
please read this link

are you able to boot from your winxp cd? if so boot to recovery and at the command prompt type these and press enter after each one

del /q c:\windows\ISASS.EXE
del /q c:\windows\MSSVCHST.DLL
del /q c:\windowss\MSHLPAPI.DLL

then reboot to normal mode scan with hijackthis and post a log to this thread.

Edited by The_Big_G, 25 July 2005 - 10:03 PM.