Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Space...

• Please log in to reply

End

End

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a Maxtor 6Y200P0 200GB HD, formated in NFTS. My question is, after formating for the 4th time, I've noticed that my total space is drastically lower than it should be. My capacity right now is 127GB, instead of the 200GB I originally paid for. Is it because I reformated? Or is it some other factor I havn't thought of? Whatever the case may be how can I fix this problem? Thanks for your help.

Edited by End, 13 July 2005 - 01:29 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have SP1 or higher installed on your system?
Is the drives full size recognised correctly in the bios?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
formatting doesnt really get rid of the data so some stuff could be persisting in the system. (not likely to take up that much space..but you never know)

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Simplest thing to do? Send it back for replacement if you can, sounds like a physical problem. It can also be a software problem. Update all your drivers and especially motherboard Bios. Also chipset drivers.

Good luck!

Best,

Alphaethan

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Samm: I have SP2 with all the updates (just got new ones today). Where should I be looking in the BIOS?

dsenette: I don't know how to go and get rid of this stuff.

alphaethan: I don't know how to flash the bios, but really I heard it is hard to do. All other drivers are up to date, no conflicts in my device manager, and nothing is disabled (besides my SCSI Disk Device, which I don't have).\

EDIT: I have a ASUS A7V8X motherboard with a VIA KT400 Chipset DDR400.

Edited by End, 14 July 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
For your system to recognise any drive larger than 137GB, it must be 48-bit LBA compliant. This means the bios must support 48-bit LBA addressing and so must windows (XP SP1 should be 48-bit capable)

Go into the bios->main, highlight the primary master entry and press enter. You should then see the drive capacity listed. If the size is correct, then your bios is 48-bit compatible.

Also check the jumpers on the rear of the drive. Some drives have a size clip jumper than forces the system to recognise only part of the total drive capacity.

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so this is what my BIOS says currently for my Maxtor:

Type: Auto (But changed back to the harddrive name after I pressed escape)
Cylinders: 1024 (space before the 1, it looked like this [ 1024] )
Head: 255
Sector: 63
CHS Capacity: 8422MB
Maximum Capacity: 203931MB

Multi-Sector Transfers: Maximum
Smart Monitoring: Enabled
Pio Mode: 4
Extra DMA Mode: 6

Edited by End, 14 July 2005 - 02:31 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, looks like the bios is recognising the drive correctly.
Next thing to try is go into control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management

Have a look in there to see if the remaining 80GB of hard drive is recognised as unpartitioned space or whether XP thinks the drive is only 130GB in size.

Also, have a read through this article :
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;303013

Its easier than me trying to explain it all & you may find it useful.

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Heres a picture of what it looks like.... Is there a way to allocate that unallocated space into the current one? Or will I have to make it's own partition?

Attached Thumbnails

• unallocated.JPG

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You should be able to extend the current partition to include the unallocated space (in theory). If you can't do it with disk management, Partition Magic should be able to. Backup any data you have on the drive first though.

Failing that, then creating a second partition in the unallocated space will work.

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Heh, that's easier said than done, because I don't have Partition Magic, and knowing my DOS skills, I can't get it through Disk Management even though I've partitioned many hard-drives. I guess I'll make the unallocated space a new partition, I could use it for random oddities I guess. Or maybe just leave it alone until next format and attempt to put all the disk space avalible into one partition, which I've done before aswell. Thanks for the help.