Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some popup through windows messenger service

• Please log in to reply

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I hope someone can help me, I will try to make this long story shorter but the jist of things is had to reformat the computer today (with help from online tech support), got that all done to fix another problem I was having and now I am getting these popups that say messenger service at the top of them telling me things like my windows system registry is infected and I need to go download something to fix it, and many other things as well, about 10 different ones so far.

I called the tech support guy back and he said, as close as I can remember, that windows messenger is some program installed with windows and that companies send out these messages to random people through it but he wouldn't tell me how to delete it without me paying another $35, which I just don't have.

I just got another one as I was typing this so I will put exactly what this one says.

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 7/13/2005 12:55:54 PM

STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 47 CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS!

To fix the errors please do the following:
1. Download Registry Repair from: http://www.regfixup.com
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION!

If anyone can tell me how to get rid of this I would be eternally grateful because this things are popping up every 15 seconds and I am about to lose my mind. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You could try this Doug Knox Fix or THIS fix..

Murray

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Is it "Windows Messenger" or "Windows' Messenger Service".
The first-one is the one which looks like "MSN Messenger".
The second one is got to do something with Windows' Alerter Service.

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is the "Windows' Messenger Service". To the best of my knowledge MSN Messenger is not installed on here.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can open your services and disable messenging services...unless you're in a corporate environment that hasn't heard of email you dont really need it. and if you ever install a program that does need it (certain UPS management systems) it will tell you and probably start it for you

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Open services? Sorry, I am kinda computer illiterate, no idea what that means heh, I tried the thing the first guy recommended, the DougKnox thing and it wouldn't work, I am on the page for the second but it has options for whether it is 4.0 or 4.5 and I have no idea which it is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open control panel. then you should have a folder called administrative tools in there. then in there there should be a little icon that looks like gears called services. open that and look for messenger or messanging or something to that effect. double click it and set the start up type to manual. then click the stop button

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, did that but it was already on Manual and the stop button was not highlighted as a usuable option, only the start button was. I reinstalled my spysweeper and it said it got rid of this (just a few mins ago, haven't had a popup since then but don't know if they are truly gone since it's only been a few mins) but now it is asking me if I want to remove or keep something called Compaq_RBA, which I looked up on google and from the best I can tell it looked like it was something not good but I don't know for sure. I am so lost... sorry to be such a pain

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ok, It was'nt "Windows' Messenger Service" causing the alerts but Compaq's.
Thats exactly what Compaq_RBA is a messenger/alter service to Compaq.
It is harmless.
But if u want to remove it:
Start -> Programs -> Compaq Advisor -> Advisor Settings under the "advanced" tab, there will be an option to disable it.

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, please don't kill me but I don't have that, there is a Compaq section but all that is in it is - compaq pc tools which is you click that turns into compaq support information, and compaq application recovery, compaq options, compaq registration, compaq service, compaq support information, and compaq system recovery. :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just follow the links I gave you.. Either one will work !!

Murray

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have these two things that are showing up in my spysweeper now asking me if I want to remove or keep them but I can't figure out what they are... does anyone know if I should keep these or not?

Mplayer2_FixUp

and

WMC_RebootCheck

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
For Compaq_RBA:
Open Services (the same way as dsenette told u in Post#7).
Look for Compaq Advisor service. Double-click on it to open its Properties Window. And change its Startup Type to Disabled.

For Mplayer2_FixUp and WMC_RebootCheck:
They should be gone by the next time U reboot ur computer; As they fall in the RunOnce Category of ur Registry. It was caused because there must have been some problem with ur Windows Media Player last time u opened it.

gothicfaery

gothicfaery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks very much for everyone who took the time to offer advice, I am very appreciative. :tazz:

debstargirl

debstargirl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there... Just trying to confirm I have the same problem as the posts above.
I have only just made a new connection to the net. As soon as I clicked that very first time to get on... the "Messenger Service" messages came up...viz:-

Messenger Service (In Blue background)

(Rest in Grey background)
Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 8/19/2005 12:41:51 PM
STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

Windows has found 47 CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS!

To fix the errors please do the following

1. Download Registry Repair from: http://www.mxfix.com
2. Install Registry Repair
3. Run Registry
4. Re-boot your computer
FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION!

[OK]

There are also many other similiar type messages that pop-up at the rate of about a dozen in 1/2 an hour..
Thanks, if you can confirm that mine is the same since I don't want to wreck the computer if possible. :tazz: