Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help, My computer wont stay on

• Please log in to reply

TravisPhan

TravisPhan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, for about three weeks, i've been getting this problem where i turn on my computer and it freezes at the desktop. I went to the bios and loaded the defaults and even in there it freezes. 90% of the time it freezes on me or shuts down.
sometimes when i turn it on, it makes a long loud beep and my computer wont even start. when im lucky, my computer will start working for about 4-5 hours (1 out of 100 restarts). i've tried all the spyware stuff, cleaning my computer, and system restore. i think it has something to do with hardware, so if you can help me in anyway i would appreciate it.

im running : AMD 2200+, 512 mb, XP - SP2, ATI 9800 256mb PRO,

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Travis:

How old is your computer? Did this start after adding new software? Added new hardware?

When it gets to your desktop and freezes that sounds like a software issue.
When it give a long loud beep, and never makes it to the desktop, that sound like a POST problem which may be hardware.

EMCguy

TravisPhan

TravisPhan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my computer is 3 years old, and i use limewire, would the music files be a factor?
well, how should i go about fixing this problem? what might be some of the hardware problems?

buying a new motherboard/cpu might fix it?

please tell me all taht i can do to fix this problem

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Couple things here...

You say it freezes while you're in the bios screen?

There is a long loud beep.

Is the beep continually on until you shut off the computer, or does it last for about 2 seconds.

A long beep normally means that either the ram or video card did not reply correctly to the bios during bootup.

Check/reseat your ram and video card ensuring they both seat fully into the motherboard connectors.

All of what you are saying about the bios and the beeping is a hardware failure.

What happens after a successful bootup and after you get into widows could be a software failure, but could also be associated with the hardware failure.

Whatever the case, you must troubleshoot the hardware failure first.

makai

TravisPhan

TravisPhan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not getting the beeping problem anymore. I can get a bootup to desktop, but after waiting like 1 minute on the desktop, it just freezes. WHat should i do? Re-install windows? Would triyng a different harddrive be a good way to troubleshoot?

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Travis

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

If you can, maybe you should try running an HJT scan in safe mode and posting the log to our malware forums.

If you are downloading alot on limewire you've more than likely picked up some nasties, and they could be your main problem.

Paul

TravisPhan

TravisPhan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:40:41 PM, on 7/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Travis Phan.TRAVISPC\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm Pro.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

by the way guys, you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help

Edited by TravisPhan, 14 July 2005 - 03:42 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Please check your temperatures in the bios. This could also be a heating problem.

makai

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make sure all your hardware is properly seated though as well to be sure even though it doesnt make the beeping noise anymore it may be loose. The easiest way to eliminate hardware would be a fresh install of windows or a new harddrive and then connect the old one in later to retrieve the data you want. The most improtant thing though is to eliminate hardware problems as these can cause mysterious problems that seem like software. Go in check everything and have a wee dust.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Travis

I've briefly looked at your log and I can't find anything wrong. However, I did not research every item, and since I DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT I"M DOING when it comes to malware, I'm going to post your HJT over at the malware forums to let the experts look it over.

EMCguy

Just curious Did it run OK in safe mode? Obviously you were able to generate the HJT log. But did it lock up still in safe mode?

EMCGuy

PS I didn't see any antiviurs running? Is it built into Zone alarm? what do you use?

Edited by EMCguy, 15 July 2005 - 12:21 PM.

TravisPhan

TravisPhan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, everything is ok right now, after i went into safe mode and restored it to 5 MONTHS AGO. i guess it has to do something with software, thanks for everyting EMCGUY. anyhow, zonealarm and my router are my virus protection, i think haha i dont know much about computers, and thanks again you guys are awesome